My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy hard drive

(59 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Martin,

You appear to have disagreed with a statement I didn't make. Where did I suggest that an SSD didn't have a finite life? In fact I said otherwise when I said that when they die, they tend to die quieter.

At the moment, most of what I read speculates that SSDs and HDs have roughly the same life expectancy. My point is that SSDs are quieter which is more appropriate for the environment in which they work.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 19:46:32 #11 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 51 minutes ago  » 
    Martin,
    You appear to have disagreed with a statement I didn't make. Where did I suggest that an SSD didn't have a finite life? In fact I said otherwise when I said that when they die, they tend to die quieter.
    At the moment, most of what I read speculates that SSDs and HDs have roughly the same life expectancy. My point is that SSDs are quieter which is more appropriate for the environment in which they work.

Unless you have one in a bedroom, you watch TV with the sound muted ?

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 20:39:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Yes I long for the day when SSD takes over. I dont know about the technical or longevity issues and it blows my mind what can now be stored on a micro sd card.

I suppose it looks like a memory board which hard stores the data...double dutch to me but if it works and does away with the noise of moving parts its got to be a bonus

I didnt get upset with hard drives until my 2000T story. I wish you all could have heard because it was horrendous. I tend to think it was more than just a faulty batch as there was no damping or shielding. The design and thin casing just amplified it. I could hear the heads chuntering away in the kitchen and that is plainly ridiculous.

All I am saying is the noise of fans and moving parts has to be considered in a home entertainment unit. Its something I will be watching out for in future.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum
    Martin

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 20:52:53 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

I'm sorry Graham, I don't understand your question.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 21:07:27 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Minstrel,

It is a logical progression to SSD cards. The problem in my view about failures shouldn't be seen as being as big an issue as a drive failure on a PC. As important as recorded programmes are, more people would be prepared to simply shrug and replace the drive and not be unduly concerned about losing some TV programmes. On a PC it's more of a concern for most people.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 21:10:57 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 52 minutes ago  » 
    I'm sorry Graham, I don't understand your question.

What don't you understand. It seems pretty simple to me.

If you have a pvr in a bedroom and you use it to record overnight then clearly it needs to be very quiet.

If you have a pvr in a lounge, kitchen whatever and you need to listen to the audio, then under normal conditions there is no way you will hear the low level sound from a AV hard disk. These are low speed devices designed to minimise power consumption and noise at the expense of slower data transfer speeds. The data transfer speed is way above what is required for any current pvr.

Because most of my kit is in a rack remote from my TV I sit very close to 3 out of the 4 pvrs (about 1.5M). My Foxsat-HDR is under TV, TV front left and right and centre and subwoofer are around 3M away).

Even listening at low volume the 3 pvrs in my rack cannot be heard even when they are all in use.

Even muting the sound I have to get within a foot or so to hear the disk drives.

If you listen to the audio using a flat screen TV with minute speakers with less bass output than a transistor radio then not surprised you have an issue. The sound you get from a flat screen TV is horrendous.

Try a decent pair of headphones.

Currently watching Blu-Planet II in glorious 5.1 sound. It's not loud but you feel like you should be wearing breathing kit.

Surrounded by bubbles at the moment, not exactly the loudest sounds.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 22:07:57 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Graham, perhaps you have missed the point that your generalisation isn't true for everyone. The thread is from a person complaining about a noisy drive. Just because you cannot hear the HD, it doesn't mean that Peter doesn't.

I no longer have a 5000T. Just a gap where the cash use to be.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 23:00:42 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not me I have 5 current Humax boxes in current use 4 of them in the same room. Currently I have paused the curent one I am viewing. All i can hear is a ticking clock and the slight hum from my subwoofer.

That indicates to me that Peter has a much noisier than normal hard drive nothing else. I have a noise meter used to set up 5.1 systems, i wouldn't even register anything.

I take it you are the same poster that posts on AVForum as Visionman ?

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 23:34:30 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Graham, perhaps you have missed the point that your generalisation isn't true for everyone. The thread is from a person complaining about a noisy drive. Just because you cannot hear the HD, it doesn't mean others don't.
    I no longer have a 5000T. Just a gap where the cash use to be.

As usual, you need to look at the audio output figures in dB from a hard drive spec compared to the normal levels experienced. I happen to have a audio meter used to set up 5.1 systems. I could use it to prove you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Suggest you give up before you look any more biassed than you already do. I take it you post on other forums as VisionMan.

| Sun 26 Nov 2017 23:37:06 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Graham, your two posts are just weird.

How can I "not have a clue"" if I have made no complaint at all about a noisy drive on the 500Ot I just returned? I have no bias at all with respect to noisy drives and you clearly are confusing me with some other poster you clearly disagree with on some other forum. I have no idea who Visionman is and post on no other related forums. I have more than five Humax boxes in two homes and have no problems with noisy drives. I consider myself to be a Humax enthusiast but simply didn't rate the 5000t is much as the other boxes I have. I did have a noisy Huwy but that was a freeby from Youview and was binned after the beta test.

I registered here solely to gain access to 5000t experience prior to and during my purchase and i have reported factually on my experience. All I did on this thread was innocently offer the opinion that SSDs might in time be a better future solution in PVRs. I'm sorry you found the opinion sufficiently offensive to indulge yourself in this personal and totally unjustified attack.

| Mon 27 Nov 2017 0:36:17 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.