My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Noisy hard drive and system settings Q

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

sscweston

Hi all... Freesat HDR 1100S, six months old.

Two questions .. firstly... under system settings, i only have two options, auto power down (set to on) and Standby mode (set to power save) Shouldn't there be other options, e.g storage and updates?

Secondly the hard drive is constantly working, you can hear it read/writing ALL the time, 24hrs per day even when there are no recordings/playback taking place. It is quite loud and annoying when watching at low volumes or TV is off. Is this normal?? don't recall an earlier model being the same.

Thanks - Tony

| Tue 19 Mar 2019 17:05:27 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Certain settings are hidden or greyed out when the unit is recording or in pre-recording mode (15 mins before a recording if padding set to auto).

The hard-disk is normally recording the channel being watched in order to provide time-slip, pause and instant record facilities.

As Humax normally use the same drives on all models, except when shortages occur, I think the drive noise level is more likely to be down to shipment mishandling. It can be amplified by the surface it sits on so I would suggest trying sitting it on different materials, that do not hinder air-flow, to see if they make any difference.

| Tue 19 Mar 2019 17:18:15 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sscweston - 40 minutes ago  » 
    Hi all... Freesat HDR 1100S, six months old.
    Two questions .. firstly... under system settings, i only have two options, auto power down (set to on) and Standby mode (set to power save) Shouldn't there be other options, e.g storage and updates?
    Secondly the hard drive is constantly working, you can hear it read/writing ALL the time, 24hrs per day even when there are no recordings/playback taking place. It is quite loud and annoying when watching at low volumes or TV is off. Is this normal?? don't recall an earlier model being the same.
    Thanks - Tony

The unit should be silent when it enters low power sby. This can be some time after pushing the power button (eg processing multiple recording file deletions). It certainly shouldn't be running 24/7. It might boot for a few minutes overnight to carry out some housekeeping routines.

Low Power sby uses less than 0.5W, certainly not enough to run the Hard Disk. The only power it needs is to power the timer to wake the box 15 mins or so before the next scheduled recording is due (provided start recording and end recording time is set to auto).

You haven't by any chance paired the remote scheduling app ? If so the box will wake every 20 mins or so to check for scheduling changes.

If not away from home best to unpair until you need the capability.

| Tue 19 Mar 2019 17:48:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

sscweston

Thank you both for your help. Have made some changes and it is now only active when watching tv or recording. Still a bit noisy but am trying a mat

| Wed 20 Mar 2019 21:27:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Hi Tony

Yes dont let others talk it down as certain Humax models are far too noisy...unacceptably so.

With mine a 2000T its a combination of a fairly noisy drive and casing(mainly the lid) working as an amplifying resonance skin.

I should have taken mine back but was caught at a vunerable moment and couldnt face that chainstore again who had already tried to fob me off with a tatty one boxed up. There also wasnt a lot else I liked in the price range.

I damped the noise down myself but it cost time, materials and voiding the warranty which has expired anyway now after two years.

so in my view there are definately noisy batches and faulty models. What actually annoys me is Humax customer service who werent interested other than saying take it back then....I had no idea if another unit would be any better. I felt Humax know its a problem but didnt want the hassle of sorting it

Other people who havent experienced/fail to acknowledge this problem also seem to play it down so I just felt I was alone. Only Im not because quite a few people have mentioned the problem and the market seemed flooded with returns and "refurbished" units.

I dont think a mat will sort it as its a deeper issue than that...you can give it a go but consider sending it back under warranty

| Thu 21 Mar 2019 5:18:15 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

sscweston - 13 hours ago  » 
    Thank you both for your help. Have made some changes and it is now only active when watching tv or recording. Still a bit noisy but am trying a mat

I have a HDR-1000S with a FVP-5000T on top of it about 4 ft away on a glass shelf. Both have a Seagate pipeline 2TB drive in them.

The only time you can hear the drive in the FVP-5000T is a slight squeal when the drive runs up on booting the unit. Other than that the only way to hear either unit is get really close to either unit.

I reckon you must have a bad drive.

| Thu 21 Mar 2019 10:48:03 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

sscweston

Have come to the same conclusion... will be taking it back under warranty hopefully for an exchange. Thanks all

| Thu 21 Mar 2019 13:16:24 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.