My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Not booting

(28 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

This morning my HDR failed to boot. On the front panel the red light is on and the display is back lit. No response from standby button on front panel. Front display blank.
    After a power cycle same situation.
    I have mains spike protection on all kit however a pc which runs a science application 24/7 was off, an indication of a power interuption or spike last night.
    I suspect that the spike took out the power supply - is there anywhere I can buy a replacment power supply - to fit myself?

While I am trying to restore the HDR to health, I have ordered a new 320mb box (as I could do with an another anyway) - I suspect that the hard disk (1tb) in the dead box is fine and wonder where the encryption key is stored (Flash memory, HD?).

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 12:08:29 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It can't be on the HDD as I guess you would not be able to swap it with impunity for a unformatted new one. You could try disconnecting the HDD and see if it boots just to eliminate the drive. Can't remember but I guess the power supply output voltages will indicated on the mother board. Checking with a voltmeter should show if anythings wrong. Checking the 12V line on the drive power socket is easy. Usual warnings about live 240V connections inside the box. If you have a 1:1 isolating transformer using that to feed the box will avoid shocks from a live exposed 240V connection.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 12:30:12 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is the hard disk (WD10EARS with AF), removing the power cable made no difference, removing the SATA and drive power and re-powering resulted in dispaly showing boot. Connected old (non AV) for test - formatted.
    For the moment I am going to put the origional 320K drive back in.
    Have ordered another WD10EARS.

It's going to be interested when I get the new HDR that I have ordered - I am going to install raydon's bundle on it (with the channel editor which backsup and restores the flash memory) to see if the encyption key is in the flash, If so I should be able to restore a copy of of the flash (happen to have copy on PC) to the new HDR to see if then keys will be the same.

First disk I have ever had go on me and I have had a lot.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 14:16:55 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Yes - have amended the order to a WD20EAVS.
    HDR re-assembered with origional drive and connected to TV.
    A problem -on screen messqage - something like "cannot control HD". So it may well be the hard disk controller on the mother board the spike took out rather than the HD (but quite possible it was both). So not sure if I am going to need a new drive or not so I will go for a 2tb which will make a noce spare for the next PC build it I don't need it. Wife can watch TV if she presses OK when the message is on screen.

Orange 2eather warning for tonight here and in a lot of France - Thunderstorms starting in two hours. Just time to cut the grass.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 15:17:50 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Out of interest can your box access a usb drive with the internal disconnected ?

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 15:22:36 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Connected it up (with the 1tb inside).
    USB connected message, USB drive activity, nothing else. USB drive connected remains on screen, USB drive disconnected, message changed to USB drive disconnected which also remains on screen.

Tried a different disk - same result (so does not rule out the possibility of the 1tb being OK).

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 15:55:36 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Shame I was thinking that you might be able to view the contents of your 1TB internal drive by using the usb port and no drive internally.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 16:02:31 #8 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It still works for TV - so I will use it in the bedroom which means I can hear the news while I bath. [I will replace it when the FOXSAT HDR T.N.G. arrives]

I must say the build quality of the HDR is very good and very neat, everything well labelled, especially that power supply.

| Tue 12 Jul 2011 17:16:03 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Quick update - I no longer get any messages, media does nothing but the HDR functions very well as a HD box. Most impressed. I guess design must be a HD box with the other HDR functions on top.

| Wed 13 Jul 2011 18:59:16 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.