My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Not STARTING Using HDMI via an AVR Amp

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

GJP

When connecting the HDR 1010S via HDMI through a Denon AVR 4308A to a Samsung TV UE46D800 for sound and vision, the HDR 1010S displays STARTING and freezes - no picture, no sound. On the Denon Amp, HDMI Control if OFF. Turning it ON does not improve matters. Have tried all HDMI ports on the AVR and TV in all combinations.

If the HDR 1010S is, however, connected by HDMI directly to the TV for video and for sound using optical cable switched via the Denon AVR, the HDR 1010S starts up correctly.

Any clues on the HDR 1010S freezing. All software is up to date on all devices.

| Tue 26 May 2015 17:13:19 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Possibly a hdmi handshake issue amp to TV. If you remove the hdmi cable from the amp to the TV does the box boot up and give you audio (of course you can't see the video) ? I used a HDR1000S with a Denon AVR4306 for a long time with no problems.

Have you any other kit with hdmi out connected to the amp, if so do these work OK ?

| Tue 26 May 2015 17:17:27 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Agree with Graham, but add also try turning off HDMI-CEC on the TV and see if that makes a difference. (HDMI-CEC = Anynet+ Samsungish.

| Tue 26 May 2015 17:33:16 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

GJP

With the AVR switching sound and vision via the HDMI and the HDMI cable removed from the TV port, the HDR 1010S boots up OK and sound is OK. As soon as the cable is plugged into the TV port, the box freezes and no sound either. So why would there be a handshake problem with a modern TV? The HDR 1010S was a direct replacement for a Sky HD Amstrad box which functioned perfectly on these TV/AVR ports via HDMI and optical of course.

| Tue 26 May 2015 17:42:01 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

GJP

HDMI-CEC has been disabled on Samsung from day one.

| Tue 26 May 2015 17:53:44 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GJP - 16 minutes ago  » 
    With the AVR switching sound and vision via the HDMI and the HDMI cable removed from the TV port, the HDR 1010S boots up OK and sound is OK. As soon as the cable is plugged into the TV port, the box freezes and no sound either. So why would there be a handshake problem with a modern TV? The HDR 1010S was a direct replacement for a Sky HD Amstrad box which functioned perfectly on these TV/AVR ports via HDMI and optical of course.

Try a different hdmi cable amp to TV and/or different hdmi port on the TV.

| Tue 26 May 2015 17:59:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

GJP

Already tried those combinations. HDMI 1.3, 1.4, and already mentioned the port change combinations. No improvement.

| Tue 26 May 2015 19:03:26 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GJP - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Already tried those combinations. HDMI 1.3, 1.4, and already mentioned the port change combinations. No improvement.

What about this question ?

Have you any other kit with hdmi out connected to the amp, if so do these work OK ?

| Tue 26 May 2015 19:16:12 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GJP

Cambridge Audio BD, Pc, Apple TV. All work perfectly into AVR to a single out HDMI port to TV.

| Tue 26 May 2015 19:44:28 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Long shot have you got Denon amp set to output 8 bit black levels or the standard settings ? Using the extended bit level did very odd things with the Sony TV I had at the time. Also try different HDMI inputs on the amp. They aren't always the same. My latest Yamaha amp has problems with my two HDR FOX T2 boxes using HDMI in 1, 2 and 3, they work fine on 4,5 and 6. It was Yamaha support who told me to try the other inputs.

| Tue 26 May 2015 20:46:46 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.