My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

not switching on 4000t

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jwepjb

unit light turns from red to blue, but tv not switching on. im having to pull power plug, wait and then plug in, turn on with remote, sometimes i get a picture sometimes not, then just repeat unplug power etc

| Tue 18 Dec 2018 14:03:12 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

jwepjb - 18 minutes ago  » 
    unit light turns from red to blue, but tv not switching on. im having to pull power plug, wait and then plug in, turn on with remote, sometimes i get a picture sometimes not, then just repeat unplug power etc

Try Turning off on your TV whatever it calls cec control.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdmi-cec-known-as-by-manufacturer-1

| Tue 18 Dec 2018 14:23:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

jwepjb - 8 hours ago  » 

Please would you clarify what you mean by "tv not switching on".

If the TV is in standby then why unplug? Wouldn't using the TV's remote to bring the TV out of standby be easier?

But if you mean that the tv is powered on, but the Humax's picture is not appearing then one possible solution when that happens is to use the TV's remote to change the TV's source to the Humax. TVs with more than 1 input port have a source button on the remote. It may say something like "Source", "AV" or have a rectangle with an arrow going into it.

| Tue 18 Dec 2018 23:08:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jwepjb

When I switch on Humax with remote (humax normally turns on TV) but TV not coming on. Then I go through unplug humax etc. Sometimes this is enough to solve the problem, sometimes I have to do again

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 10:49:36 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

Then why not use the TV remote to switch on the TV as suggested previously rather than unplugging the Humax? Surely that would be a lot easier and not even involve getting out of your chair.

Or are 'we' not understanding the problem?

You have 'clarified' "tv not switching on" by saying "TV not coming on". An equally vague statemented.#

Is the problem-
    a. The TV does not switch out of standby to ON when you switch the Humax out of standby? or
    b. The TV is powered on displaying a picture but the input does not switch to the Humax when it is switched on? or
    c. Do you mean that the tv is powered on when the Humax is switched on, but the Humax's picture is not appearing? or
    c. Something else?

My guess at what you mean is that when the TV is in standby, you switch on the Humax but the TV does not come out of standby to its ON state and switch to the Humax's input selection to display the picture from the Humax which it has done in the past? Is this a correct guess?

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 11:17:52 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jwepjb

Sorry for not making the problem easier to understand, apologies !
    Your guess is correct, that's what's happening

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 14:23:00 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

What you want is either controlled by HDMI-CEC (see earlier link in thread for TV brand names) or by certain HDMI ports becoming active.

The problem is likely to be the former where there are multiple versions of the standard which are not uniformly implemented across all brands. There are also problems in knowing what to do in certain circumstances.

Personally, with my setup, I have HDMI-CEC disabled as the PVR would frequently not power-up when I turned it on. Now, as long as I power-on the TV first and the PVR second, all functions perfectly. Before, the TV was missing the handshake, and the fixed 1080-p resolution I have set on the PVR.

I would also comment that you have a very small problem

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 15:07:51 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

But as it'used to work' but now doesn't, I'm out of ideas, other than to check the CEC settings on both the TV and the box. I always suspect that changing the cable rarely fixes the problem, but would be worth a try after re-seating the original.
    HDMI generally either works or fails completely.

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 15:21:29 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Trev - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I always suspect that changing the cable rarely fixes the problem, but would be worth a try after re-seating the original.

In my world I find changing or testing the cable often fixes problems (but I have a lot of equipment that is moved from location to location).

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 15:33:50 #9 |
  10. Trev

Trev

special member

Yep, I'll go along with that, but not one that has been undisturbed and working for quite some time then stops for no apparent reason. If anything and if cable related at all, it is likely to be just one of the end contacts becoming a bit iffy due to (possibly) heat expansion or age related corrosion etc.

| Wed 19 Dec 2018 23:56:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.