My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Not the --:-- clock problem but four dashes ----

(17 posts)
  1. gra26264

gra26264

hi biggles,
    a friend of mine has started to experience the clock problem with his black 9200T.When left on standy at first the clock appears as normal but after 6-8 hours --:-- replaces the clock numbers and the fan on the back is running as if the machine is on.I have told him to try to set the machine back to default settings to see if this resolves this issue but if not I will try your cleaning fix.
    I will let you know how I get on,
    thanks

Graham

| Sun 19 Feb 2012 22:28:17 #1 |
  2. Biggles

Biggles

special member

It seems your friend's 9200 clock is just on the verge of failing but it isn't related to the fan being on in standby, a Default Setting should sort that out.

| Mon 20 Feb 2012 11:21:46 #2 |
  3. gra26264

gra26264

Hi Biggles,
    thanks for your quick response,I got him to do a default setting last night but haven't spoken to him since.I will whip his board out and clean it if the --:-- thing happens again.Wish I had known about this fix before as my clock did the same thing 2 years ago and I changed the board for a new one,and I can't find the old one now,think it might have gone in the bin,doh!!!
    thanks again
    Graham

| Mon 20 Feb 2012 11:37:13 #3 |
  4. gra26264

gra26264

Hi biggles.
    the problem with my friends humax is persisting,it seems to not be a clock problem though,what is happening is that if he leaves the machine on standby with a program set to record it does not record the program and the display is showing ---- not --:--.
    I have got him to do the default setting but this did not sort it out,so I last night reformatted the drive using the humax's format facility but the problem persists,I did not try to use humaxcheck to try to recover a failing file system as I thought a reformat would definately do the job,where do I go from here?Should I try humaxcheck?Or try to format the drive using a pc?
    thanks
    Graham

| Wed 22 Feb 2012 16:35:06 #4 |
  5. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

take a look at the FAQ item here (link).

The second part relates to using humaxcheck on a failing filesystem but from your posts it sounds more like a failing clock circuit as the machine does come out of standby and displays the time for a few hours before going to ---- when in standby.

There are 2 scenarios where 4 dashes are on the display. On the left is a sypmtom of the stuck in standby, on the right is symptomatic of a faulty clock.

| Wed 22 Feb 2012 16:53:39 #5 |
  6. gra26264

gra26264

Hi aldaweb,
    the ---- come up on the left hand side and the fan is running,I have tried turning the machine off at the back,doing a default setting but the problem persisted.I did not try humaxcheck but formatted the drive via humax's format facility,should I still try to humaxcheck the drive after formatting or maybe formatting drive via a pc??I would have assumed that the format would have sorted out any file corruption on the drive,maybe a full format using a pc is neccessary?
    cheers Graham

| Wed 22 Feb 2012 17:09:30 #6 |
  7. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Hi Graham,
    You or your friend are not the first to mistake ---- for --:-- on the display. ---- on the left of the display does not indicate the clock problem that my repair relates to, --:-- in Standby indicating a duff clock is on the right of the display replacing the clock digits.

You've just interrupted me composing my competition entry, you'd think Humax would have given me a FOX for providing a simple repair for all their duff 9200s and maintaining their good name, lick lick.

| Wed 22 Feb 2012 17:41:21 #7 |
  8. gra26264

gra26264

Hi,I want to format the harddrive using windows7 but am unsure about what format it should be,fat32??master boot record or GPT GUID partition table?? anyone have any idea??
    thanks
    Graham

| Wed 22 Feb 2012 22:01:05 #8 |
  9. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

As far as I am aware, it doesn't matter what filesystem you format within Windows so long as as the drive is checked during format, ie not a quick format. The 9200t will offer to format the drive when you put it back which of course you should let it.

As long as the drive is checked under windows you should not have to use humaxcheck, which is there more to correct errors with the humax filesystem.

| Thu 23 Feb 2012 10:43:33 #9 |
  10. gra26264

gra26264

Hi Aldaweb,
    thanks for that,I did not seem to be getting anywhere with humaxcheck,I had connected the drive to my pc using the ide to usb mod and it was seen using disc manager as unallocated space,as I was unsure about formatting from there I just let the humax format drive when it was turned on.
    The problem with it now is that if it is in standby the clock is showing the correct time but if you try to turn it on using the remote it starts to load,the display shows loo to lo9, duovisio,then ---- on the left then freezes,the tv screen stays black and then the humax will not respond.This happens most of the time but not always.If you then turn off unit at back and then turn it on again it loads.Also if left on standby over night with it set to record in the night the ---- are on the left of the display in the morning and recording did not record and unit has to be reset by powering off at the back.
    This problem seems to have only started since I did the ide to usb mod and had trouble getting hummyreadfiles to see drive.
    I will do a full reformat using windows and see if this rectifies issue and report back how I get on,

thanks

graham

| Thu 23 Feb 2012 11:42:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.