My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Odd failed recording

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

garethdphillips

I've experienced an odd issue with my HDR-1000S that I wanted to make people aware of. I've not experienced it before (that I am aware of) and I dont know how to replicate it.

Last week sometime (I dont recall when) I searched the guide for the British Touring Car Championships. It was aired on Sunday 31st March nearly all day on ITV4. I was searching for the highlights program which repeats a few times during the week on ITV 4, but once on ITV HD. It was the HD highlights I wanted to record. This was on this morning, 4th April, around 4am on ITV HD. I set a series record for this, so that I would get all the HD highlights shows for the season. These only air once in HD, and always on ITV HD in the early hours of one of the mornings of the week following a race weekend. I did the same last season.

A few days later, on Saturday or Sunday of the bank holiday weeend, I noticed that this wasnt in my planned recordings list. I know for certain that I added it (series link) but not thinking too much of this, I searched again for the program, and again I set it to series record. This time I validated that it appeared in the planned recordings list.

I have just finished watching the football on ITV 4 this evening, so I decided to watch the BTCC HD highlights. I am incredibly disaponted to see that it didnt record in the early hours of this morning, and there is no failed recording message. There is nothing in the planned list.

What on earth is going on? I didnt think much of it when it vanished the first time, but after checking and double checking a second time, when it failed to record today, I know for sure that I have set this twice now, and yet it still failed.

Any ideas?

| Thu 4 Apr 2013 22:51:38 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Like any pvr using accurate recording if set from the epg and you have Accurate Recording enabled, the box relies in the broadcaster to.

Get the epg correct (the box wakes up at the last time the epg was scanned - 15 mins, this is to await the broadcaster to signal the actual programme is starting.

To provide the right codes required to record the episode (known as Content Reference Identifiers (CRID) ).

Considering the above there are a number of possible reasons I can imagine for failure. Not a clue which is relevant.

1 The programme wasn't actually transmitted

2 The epg wasn't updated within the period the box updated the epg prior to recording. Not a clue how often this happens but if the last check falls outside the pre 15 mins check and doesn't happen till after the scheduled completion time it will fail. Did you get a failed recording entry in the recordings list ?

3 The signal to start recording wasn't transmitted by the broadcaster or if it was the reference information was changed after the programme was scheduled so the box didn't recognise the recording had started.

You can bypass all the above by setting a manual recording reservation by simply telling the box to record from a specific channel from time A-B on a specific date. If course if the content you want falls outside the period specified then you will record something else

Box problem or broadcaster problem. not a clue ( if I was a gambler would bet on the latter)

| Fri 5 Apr 2013 0:17:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

garethdphillips

Thanks for the reply.

The failed recording is 50% of this problem, but the fact that the series recording I set actually disappeared from the planned list, and I had to re-add it again some days later when I noticed it had gone, is surely related?

I suspect it disappeared again, or something else went wrong prior to the show airing, to eventually cause the recording to not happen?

dont know what happened or what could be done, but its worth documenting the issue.

| Fri 5 Apr 2013 9:32:36 #3 |
  4. badbones

badbones

Do you put your box into standby at night or do you leave it powered up?

Next time the recording is due during the night, try leaving the box on when you go to bed.

Alternatively, set the box to power up about 20 minutes before the programme is due to start recording.

The problem may be due to the EPG not being updated while the box is in standby overnight.

Just a thought...and I would be interested to know if this works.

| Fri 5 Apr 2013 12:30:50 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What software version does Gareth have ?

| Fri 5 Apr 2013 14:36:43 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

garethdphillips

I'm on the latest software, that was released a couple of months ago (prior to that I had the beta release)

I always leave the box in standby when not in use. I could leave it on over night next time, as I dont want another failure, but it's odd that the recording vanished too.

The next BTCC round will be SUnday 21st May @ Donington, and this will be live on ITV 4 (I'm going actually!)

My best guess is that the HD showing of the highlights, which was the problem last time, will be on the following Thursday morning, around 4am on ITV HD - the 25th May

I'll try again for that next showing. If anybody else wants to try....

| Sat 6 Apr 2013 20:47:45 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.