My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

OK to use Programme App on Android?

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

DEphead2004

A few months or is it really years ago , HDDs were failing and there was a lot of supposition that it might be due to the App which regularly and infuriatingly spun up the HDD every few minutes.

Can anyone advise whether this was a red herring and that the fault was something else?

I have two Freesat recorders one is the HDR 1000s (500MB) and the other the HB 1000S with a large self supplied HDD. Both are still fine after years of use. but I did remove the App from the HDR 1000S after a short while on reading the HDD fail in this forum

| Sun 29 Dec 2019 16:06:34 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A component prematurely failing was the source of failure for several batches of HDR-1000S.

The freesat app (but only when paired) does indeed cause the HDD to spin-up every 20 mins. Logic dictates that this will increase wear and lessen life, to know to what extent would require extensive testing.

The ole advantage of pairing the app is to add the remote record facility. Being retired this is of no use to me so I run the app as un-paired.

There are also reported cases of other models in the HDR-1xx0S family HDD failing where the reason is unknown.

| Mon 30 Dec 2019 10:14:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

DEphead2004

Thanks that's very helpful REPASSAC. From your knowledge base ie memory , do you know if the same issues were present in the HB 1000S. Of they weren't then I could put the remote record on that device. The HDD should be able to spin up every 20 mins as it's a HDD from a computer which I guess had a high MTBF

| Mon 30 Dec 2019 10:56:43 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

No, the HDD component failures were only related to the HDR-1000S.

I don't think that the MTBF of a PC disk is any different to the AV/CE/Surveillance models which ignore small disk R/W errors as insignificant where on PC disks these are material.

| Mon 30 Dec 2019 15:03:01 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

DEphead2004

Great, thanks . I'll give it a go.

| Mon 30 Dec 2019 15:06:40 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.