My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

On Demand response

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

robert1997

I have the 1000S connected via wifi dongle (Humax supplied) and on using the On Demand menus I find the box to be a little slow and 'clunky' in operation. Everything plays back fine but I'm wondering if I were to change to an Ethernet cable rather than wifi (currently connected at 65Mbps) is it likely that the On Demand players' menus would load faster and become a little less 'clunky'. I currently use a Roku for iPlayer etc and it runs smooth in operation which has me wondering if it is down to the capabilities of the box hardware or if it's the wifi, rather than cabled, connection to blame. Happy to have the 1000S for my Catch Up players rather than having both boxes running.

| Sun 13 Sep 2015 16:06:13 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mine is connected by cat5 100Mbps and I have a 50Mbps isp download speed. Not sure what you mean about response times. Do you mean time from choosing a service icon to when it becomes available. If so itv player seems particulary slow which may be down to the freesat server response. If you time a set of actions and post time and what you did I can do similar.

| Sun 13 Sep 2015 16:31:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

robert1997

Cheers Graham. Yes the slowest is itv. Its taking on average 25-30 secs for it to load up the 1st screen. On loading BBC Sport there is a stutter or flicker when it starts to load content. On the roku both are smooth and instantaneous. None of this is a deal breaker and I am more than happy connecting via wifi but if I thought there would be any improvement I'd go wired. Maybe I'm just being toooooo picky

| Sun 13 Sep 2015 17:19:07 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you have a smartphone there are a few apps that you show you the WiFi reception (using the lager antenna on the phone) where the units is. It will also show any other Wifi signals at that location and channel use. I use Netgear's app.

The stutter is possibly a buffering issue (usually not a lot of spare ram on PVR's).

| Sun 13 Sep 2015 17:37:03 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ITV player is by far the worst of all the main OD players. It's the same on my box (picture quality and response). I always make sure I record anything (The better half wants to watch ) on ITV1-HD due to the very poor ITVplayer. I would (if I had to miss out on a BBC programme as the BBCiplayer HD OD service is the best there is. Not that it's normally an issue, fortunate enough to have two Freesat+ pvrs and two Freeview+ pvrs in service.

I will time the same on my box but based on experience I expect it to be very much the same.

| Sun 13 Sep 2015 18:21:01 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

21 seconds from clicking on ITV Player icon in on demand to the player home screen.

| Mon 14 Sep 2015 10:00:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

robert1997

Thanks Graham. It is definitely slower than the Roku BUT if I use the backwards epg it is a much more attractive offering than the Roku app, a lot easier to find things. I installed the Freesat app on my android tablet last night which makes finding things even easier again. The Roku app in comparison is useless. (I've mentioned in the upgrade thread I had a box reboot last night which I'm hoping has nothing to do with the app. I'd read in the past where people had issues using the app). IF I can rule out that concern then I think I'll be removing the Roku from my setup and concentrating on accessing On Demand via the Humax box. One less box and a little less clutter.

| Mon 14 Sep 2015 10:31:33 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.