My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

On demand selection HD SD

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

It could be staring me in the face, but having gone through the manual twice, I cannot see how to choose between HD or SD version to watch. Please tell me how, and BTW what's the default.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 15:24:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Of the free catch up services other than Youtube (Youtube has the SD/HD option) only the BBC has HD catch up services. The quality setting is automatic depending on your ISP download speed.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 17:27:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 17 minutes ago  » ...The quality setting is automatic depending on your ISP download speed.

It can be changed on my 1000S. Initial BBC iPlayer screen, top line, on the far right is Settings/Video Quality/Best Quality or Standard Definition. Which explains why I got a pop-up a few weeks ago... "You are watching in HD, to change that go into Settings".

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 17:49:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 3 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 17 minutes ago  » ...The quality setting is automatic depending on your ISP download speed.

It can be changed on my 1000S. Initial BBC iPlayer screen, top line, on the far right is Settings/Video Quality/Best Quality or Standard Definition. Which explains why I got a pop-up a few weeks ago... "You are watching in HD, to change that go into Settings".

I was referring to the other TV catch up services ITV Player 4 OD etc.

When you select best quality on iplayer, you will only get HD if your download speed is fast enough, the quality is reduced to a point your connection can cope with.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/picture_quality_sometimes_poor

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 17:55:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My understanding of iPlayer is that if your connection supports HD then that is adopted for the *entirety of the current iPlayer program session. If during playback other devices come on-stream to impact on that the HD playback persists and might cause problems. If that were happening repeatedly a user might choose the SD settings vs Best Quality. Or does Best Quality mean adaptable to the available speed throughout the download?
    *I'm happy to be corrected on that and so expand my knowledge base.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 19:07:23 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 21 minutes ago  » 
    My understanding of iPlayer is that if your connection supports HD then that is adopted for the *entirety of the current iPlayer program session. If during playback other devices come on-stream to impact on that the HD playback persists and might cause problems. If that were happening repeatedly a user might choose the SD settings vs Best Quality. Or does Best Quality mean adaptable to the available speed throughout the download?
    *I'm happy to be corrected on that and so expand my knowledge base.

Your guess is as good as mine. The fact remains there is no specific HD option (as there used to be). Just the two options (basically as there was on a Foxsat-HDR). If you follow the link and read the last alternative faq's it's about removing the HD option on some TV's as well.

Iplayer has also changed on a HDR-FOX-T2, the HD option is still there but instead of the former 720p25 you now get 576p50.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 19:31:27 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Apologies for tardy reply. Tabnks!
    I suppose with 8 kb/s sync HD may be a little iffy sometimes

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 15:44:14 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.