My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

One cable, without loop through link?

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

I know this has probably been answered many times over the years but getting confused looking at different threads.

I currently have single cable to the lnb, configured with the link cable from LNB1 out to LNB2 in. This is great I can use multi-channels.

However, I want to now take LNB1 out to my tv. I understand all the limitations but the Foxsat and the tv will have separate uses and will almost never both be on at the same time.

I just want to check, the foxsat has the option for single cable without the loop-through? I'm assuming this can only be done with a factory reset and don't want to go through all that if it cannot be done. (I've read posts that suggest, if you are single cable, it assumes there will be a loop through?)

For reference when using the link cable, the hidden menu tells me I have "connection type: one cable" and the option is disabled. ( I have a motorised setup if that complicates anything)

| Mon 29 Jun 2020 22:52:51 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The software assumes that the link cable is present. So it will let you make impossible dual recording reservations. If you fit a splitter to the link cable use one output to feed tuner 2 and the the other the TV.

The box should continue to work as it does now.

Firstly ensure the box has low power standby enabled.

What channels you can view on the TV depends on what transponder tuner 1 is using.

With the box in full sby all channels on the TV can be used.

With the box fully on, or about to record, the TV can only use channels that are in the same frequency band high/low (there are very few high band channels on the freesat epg), and having the same polarisation horizontal/vertical as the transponder tuner 1 is using.

This information can be downloaded from the info and links in this thread,

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:53:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I didn't waste my time trying a factory reset.

Really interesting suggestion with the splitter. I hadn't even considered that would work and indeed it would have been a perfect solution. I even have a two way splitter the cable company left when it was replaced with a three way. I just tried it. Unfortunately I only get signal on the tv when the Humax is on even with the power saving enabled. (no clock on display in standby) I don't know if it something to do with having a motorized dish or maybe something to do with this: https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/no-or-bad-signal-after-standby

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:54:40 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 42 mins ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply. Good to know I didn't waste my time trying a factory reset.
    Really interesting suggestion with the splitter. I hadn't even considered that would work and indeed it would have been a perfect solution. I even have a two way splitter the cable company left when it was replaced with a three way. I just tried it. Unfortunately I only get signal on the tv when the Humax is on even with the power saving enabled. (no clock on display in standby) I don't know if it something to do with having a motorized dish or maybe something to do with this: https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/no-or-bad-signal-after-standby

I have a TV connected to my Foxsat using Tuner 1 out but it has two cables to a fixed dish on 28.2E. So the Diseqc settings may affect this.

The cable splitter may be the wrong frequency range. You need one suitable for Sat if frequencies. Try the TV with a straight cable from tuner 1 out.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Splitter-Satellite-Connector-Broadhand/dp/B07MCTPFHR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=MYS7A9I1TQMG&tag=blusas008-21&dchild=1&keywords=satellite+splitter&qid=1593517299&sprefix=satellite+%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-5

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:42:32 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Splitter says 5-1218 MHz so don't know if that should be suitable, given that it works but only when the Humax is turned on.

tuner 1 out to tv worked, which is what led me to ask the original question of whether I could tell the Humax to not expect the link cable and block channels accordingly, that I was kindly told is not possible. Although thinking about it now, I can't actually remember if I tried turning the Humax to low power standby. Might have to try again.

P.S. I assume there is no risk of damage from conflicting voltages/signals, testing all this ???? Obviously turning off when messing with cables.

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 12:20:08 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 1 hour ago  » 
    Splitter says 5-1218 MHz so don't know if that should be suitable, given that it works but only when the Humax is turned on.
    tuner 1 out to tv worked, which is what led me to ask the original question of whether I could tell the Humax to not expect the link cable and block channels accordingly, that I was kindly told is not possible. Although thinking about it now, I can't actually remember if I tried turning the Humax to low power standby. Might have to try again.
    P.S. I assume there is no risk of damage from conflicting voltages/signals, testing all this ???? Obviously turning off when messing with cables.

Without low power sby on it will not work. There is no risk because only tuner 1 has lnb control when the box is on or recording. The TV and tuner 2 have no control so no voltage output needed. When in sby the tuner 1 in is directly connected to tuner 1 out. Use a splitter that blocks dc in on the output connected to the TV. That way only tuner 1 or tuner 2 can provide DC power for the lnb at 12/18V depending on polarisation.

All the band and polarisation switching are dow

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 14:08:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanFoxsat

Ah I see now. The cable splitter does not have DC pass through that is needed for the lnb to work and presumably those that have it, only allow it in the one direction to prevent conflicting DC power. Not sure if your post was truncated or DOW means something but I get the idea. Thanks.

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 15:02:50 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

AlanFoxsat - 1 min ago  » 
    Ah I see now. The cable splitter does not have DC pass through that is needed for the lnb to work and presumably those that have it, only allow it in the one direction to prevent conflicting DC power. Not sure if your post was truncated or DOW means something but I get the idea. Thanks.

Should have said down to tuner 1.

You need a splitter that passes DC from the tuner 2 cable and not the TV.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Way-TV-Satellite-Combiner-Splitter/dp/B06Y3MR4CC/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=satellite+splitter&qid=1593529600&sr=8-13

Current pass direction isn't shown

Connect tuner 1 out to in/out. Connect TV to TV and Sat to tuner 2 in. a Test meter with a battery should be able to confirm the splitter blocks DC positive in the direction you need.

You might have to build your own DC blocker. A silicon diode soldered into the coax core the right way round should do this basically you need to block DC out from the TV tuner getting to the splitter.

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 15:14:42 #8 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

A silicon diode soldered into the coax core the right way round should do this
    Will that actually work in practice? A silicon diode needs 0.6V forward bias to switch it on.
    When I wanted to reverse the DC direction in a splitter (to make a combiner) I had to reverse the diode within the splitter. The RF bypassed the diode by means of the RF chokes and capacitors.

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 18:25:02 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 3 mins ago  » 

A silicon diode soldered into the coax core the right way round should do this
    Will that actually work in practice? A silicon diode needs 0.6V forward bias to switch it on.
    When I wanted to reverse the DC direction in a splitter (to make a combiner) I had to reverse the diode within the splitter. The RF bypassed the diode by means of the RF chokes and capacitors.

It needs to be reverse biased

The voltage will be 12V or 18V. All it needs to do is not pass any current. Just to make sure the TV satellite tuner has no way of interfering with tuner 2 when it has lnb control

| Tue 30 Jun 2020 18:53:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.