My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Only tuner 1 showing strength/quality

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Margie

I can only get 5 TV channels via tuner 1 and nothing on tuners 2 and 3.
    I have reset the box with soft factory reset to retain all my recordings - checked the cables etc. - had it switched off overnight in case it was too hot in the heat. If I put the aerial cable direct into my TV i.e. not via the Humax box, all channels including HD ones work fine so I can only surmise that the Humax box is faulty. I bought it as a factory reconditioned purchase 1 year and 1 week ago so out of guarantee.
    Can anyone help me?

| Sat 27 Jul 2019 17:08:37 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Margie - 27 mins ago  » 
    I can only get 5 TV channels via tuner 1 and nothing on tuners 2 and 3.

Please tell us which channels can you receive? What is the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax on one of those channels (Freeview button > Settings> Channel settings> Signal detection)? You will only see signal strength on tuners 2 and 3 when they are being used to make a recording.

| Sat 27 Jul 2019 17:42:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Yes, you need to actually be using the 2nd and 3rd tuners for them to show their details.

So, if you are watching BBC1 SD while recording BBC2 HD and ITV1 SD, you should see details for all three tuners as they are all on different multiplexes (Mux).

| Sat 27 Jul 2019 18:10:08 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yes, you need to actually be using the 2nd and 3rd tuners for them to show their details.
    So, if you are watching BBC1 SD while recording BBC2 HD and ITV1 SD, you should see details for all three tuners as they are all on different multiplexes (Mux).

Correct but the OP can only get 5 channels when using just tuner 1. They should be able to watch any of them. They need to respond to Martins post.

| Sat 27 Jul 2019 20:43:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 mins ago  » 

A1944 - 2 hours ago  » 

Correct but the OP can only get 5 channels when using just tuner 1. They should be able to watch any of them. They need to respond to Martins post.

True, that is what is said, but is unclear what was actually meant. We must wait and see.

| Sat 27 Jul 2019 20:49:15 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Margie

Thanks for your replies.
    One of the only 5 channels we had was showing the following data when doing a signal test:
    CH56 754000KHz 8Mhx 8K 1/32 varying between 60-75% with 10% Quality. I didn't note down the other 4 but they were roughly together when the search was progressing. They all had very poor reception but we could still use the box to play previous recordings and use the "Players".
    Yesterday, the situation hanged again - we now cannot get any channels at all when doing a retune although it was pausing at CH56 for a short time. This means we cannot even use the box for playing recordings or using the players etc.
    To test the aerial connection, I unplugged the lead from the Humax box and plugged in to the TV directly. The TV programmes including HD all worked fine. I auto retuned the TV as I noticed some channels have changed recently and hadn't updated. eg. Quest used to be CH37 and is now CH12.
    I think it found 186 channels across the TV and radio spectrum.
    I can only conclude that the board in the Humax box has now completely failed. I had checked some of the recordings and one of the recordings on 14/07/19 had recorded with poor reception but there were none since then.
    We are very disappointed as the previous PVR we had was also a Humax and failed after 2 years so we will not be having another one.

| Mon 29 Jul 2019 12:40:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Margie - 1 hour ago  » 
    CH56 754000KHz 8Mhx 8K 1/32 varying between 60-75% with 10% Quality.

Where are you based? What transmitter do you think the box is tuning to?

I can only conclude that the board in the Humax box has now completely failed.

I think it may be worth just checking a few things before coming to that conclusion. Tuner failures are not very common (unless water is coming down the aerial cabling).

| Mon 29 Jul 2019 14:28:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Margie

Hi
    In answer to your questions:
    1. We are in Lancashire near Preston so probably the Winter Hill transmitter.
    2. I don't think water in the wire is a possible cause as the aerial wire goes from the aerial itself into the attic and is connected into an amplifier which sends the signal round the house. All 5 TV's on both the ground and first floor below the attic are working and tuning properly.

| Mon 29 Jul 2019 15:13:54 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Margie - 2 hours ago  » 
    1. We are in Lancashire near Preston so probably the Winter Hill transmitter.

Interesting. The Multiplex on channel 56 is carrying the local multiplex which is broadcast at only 2kW. The main multiplexes are broadcast at 100kW. If you have 65% signal strength on a 2kW transmitter then I think there is a good chance that the problem is that the signal strength is too high for the Humax which is not an uncommon problem.

2. I don't think water in the wire is a possible cause as the aerial wire goes from the aerial itself into the attic and is connected into an amplifier which sends the signal round the house.
    All 5 TV's on both the ground and first floor below the attic are working and tuning properly.

OK. Does the amplifier have variable gain? If so you might experiment by reducing the gain and see if the Humax will tune properly. Alternatively you could buy a variable attenuator to insert into the aerial feed to the Humax and experiment with reducing the signal strength that way. Something like
    Link to ebay would be suitable; Depends if you feel like taking a £4 gamble.

| Mon 29 Jul 2019 18:04:24 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.