My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Opening the case of FVP 4000T

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

I have just bought a second hand FVP 4000T that has something loose rattling around inside, sounds metallic. Like a screw
    it was sold as faulty as the WiFi is not working and the loose bit might be a cause, but I am concerned if the part is metal it could cause a short and I would like to eliminate that and also see if I can see any reason for the lack of Wi-Fi.
    It is not under Warranty and I have removed the security labels but cannot get the case open the only visible screws are anchoring the hard drive and there are no screws under the feet (Unlike the 1000S. there are various apertures that may give access to clips etc, any advice would be appreciated, I do not want to connect up till I can remove the screw or whatever it is
    Thanks, Boyd

| Tue 19 Apr 2016 10:05:00 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Have you ...

1 removed the three Warranty Void labels and undone the screws below (2 underneath, 1 on the back)

2 undone the screw at the back by the leads

3 tried to disengage what looks like five "plastic spring clips" which presumably hold the black base in place. Look down the rectangular holes to see them - gently un-spring the clips with a small screwdriver

4 tried gently easing the black cover away using something plastic like a credit card or guitar plectrum at the black-silver joint. It should tell you where whatever is still holding it on is located.

Please let us know if this works.

| Tue 26 Apr 2016 14:00:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

Thanks for your response to my question. I have just opened the FVP4000T and can confirm your theory about the clips. However the question of the Four (Not Three) screws on the bottom do not need to be removed they only appear to anchor the Hard drive which is a full size desktop type and not the laptop size.
    I found that there are two screws on the rear but only the centre one needs to be removed and it is easy to get hold of the top cover just above the plugs and sockets at the same time as inserting the screwdriver in the slot nearest the rear panel and while using the screwdriver to gently lever the clip IN towards the machines centre and not out towards the outside, not a lot of force is required and as soon as you get the clip back while at the same time as exerting a small amount of upwards force to the lip at the rear above the socket panel you can feel the top give, then it is a case of working your way around the machine and releasing them one by one. The Front only has one clip in the centre and the one showing a bit of silver metal at the front is not a clip.
    As for why the WiFi was not working the wifi board is, (as with a laptop) a very small separate circuit board which has five pins on each end that plug into sockets on the main board that somehow the pins had come out the sockets and a small metal cover on it was detached and rattling around inside. I will find out later if there is any WiFi as I cannot connect the machine at the moment.
    I will say that I think others may find the same fault develops as the pins are the only anchorage there is no fastening clip of any kind and the pins are not a vey tight fit. I am surprised that the loose bit of metal screening that was rattling around the circuit board did not case a short, I expect as it was so light the varnish on the board prevented metal to metal contact. Thanks again for your help,
    Boyd (mactoshb)

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 13:08:32 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mactoshb

I forgot to mention that it is reqired to remove the warranty label pn the back but not the two on the bottom, as like I said in the post the screws under just anchore the hard drive to the bottom part of the casing and they play no part in holding on the top, that said I originally removed the four screws and no harm was done as the Hard drive is held in by the rubber mountings and a clamp internally
    Boyd

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 13:18:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Thanks for the update on how to do it as I am sure others will find it very helpful.

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 13:25:06 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Boyd, many thanks for updating us.

I'll publish an FAQ linking to your posts above.

Edit: Done see this FAQ

| Wed 27 Apr 2016 13:43:34 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.