My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Overlay message at top of screen during playback

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

While watching my recording of Sherlock just now (from BBC1 at 9:30pm on Friday) a short while into the playback, an overlay message appeared for a few seconds in the top centre of the screen that said something like Fri BBC1 19:00 or some other time. It wasn't there long. It certainly wasn't details of the program I was watching I know that. It could potentially have been the time I created the recording event.

What's the deal? What is that?

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 22:05:47 #1 |
  2. badbones

badbones

I think this is some kind of EPG update, maybe from a programme rescheduling.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 22:54:09 #2 |
  3. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

More than likely its a series link it picked up in the EPG and adjusted your planned list, have a look in your planned recordings to see which one it could be for Friday.

| Sun 14 Jul 2013 22:54:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

d4005

badbones - 10 hours ago  » 
    I think this is some kind of EPG update, maybe from a programme rescheduling.

-gonzo- - 10 hours ago  » 
    More than likely its a series link it picked up in the EPG and adjusted your planned list, have a look in your planned recordings to see which one it could be for Friday.

Oh, so you guys think that as it gets new EPG data (or an update to a program's start time), it's informing me that it's added (or changed) an item in my planned recordings and informing me it's done so.

That certainly fits with the date/time/channel info it showed me. The confusion was that it was unrelated to what I was watching. More info on the overlay would have helped, something like "added to (or amended in) the planned recordings" on the end of it

It's always good to know what's going on and why.

Thanks

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 9:43:53 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I've seen exactly the same type of message and at the time it appeared to be related to an EPG update. That took some detective work so I agree that the message is not very intuitive.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 9:47:29 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

souporjuice

Agree, I see this thing flashing up from time to time and, on the rare occasions it's stuck around long enough for me to be able to read it, it's never actually told me anything I didn't already know or cared about.

Wouldn't shed a tear if it was removed in a future update.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 11:14:37 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The problem is that the 1000S does not have a fully integrated user interface (GUI). You get the HTML5 version developed by Freesat and (apparently) some bits added by Humax (which were apparently missed by Freesat, or they don't care). A good, well thought out GUI would put these messages into a message file, accessible from the single interface GUI, which tracked everything that was happening on the box. This tracking turned on/off by user option.
    Another example of the confused approach is adding the time to the i-Banner display, not putting it in the i-Banner itself but at the top of the screen in black-on-grey. Like the after-thought that it clearly was.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 11:37:21 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

souporjuice - 50 minutes ago  » 
    Agree, I see this thing flashing up from time to time and, on the rare occasions it's stuck around long enough for me to be able to read it, it's never actually told me anything I didn't already know or cared about.
    Wouldn't shed a tear if it was removed in a future update.

I think that the message is possibly a piece of left over debugging code.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 12:07:55 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.