My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Panasonic Viera TV

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

I have a Panasonic Viera TX-L37ET5B TV taking a signal from the HDR 1000S. When I turn on the TV, I momentarily get the error message 'No channel found. Please check aerial or local signal availability'. Within about 3-5 seconds the message disappears, and the picture appears. As suggested by Panasonic, I have checked that the Power on Preference is set to AV, which it is, and have also tried replacing the HDMI cable, both without effect. It is somewhat irritating, and it would be good if when switching on the TV it went straight to the picture. Anyone else met this, suggestions as to what I might try etc. Thanks.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 16:22:48 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I have the 42E5B which is the same TV without 3D. If you want the TV to auto switch to the HDMI connection which has the 1000S connected then you need to plug the 1000S into HDMI1, which is the only one with signal detect and the one that conforms to the AV setting. Do you have it in HDMI1? My TV powers up into terrestrial TV and then shortly afterwards changes to HDMI1 when it detects input from the 1000S.
    The other possibility is that you don't have terrestrial TV connected via an aerial, in which case there is a delay, blank screen and message, while the 1000S boots up. Nothing that I know of to overcome that.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 17:21:43 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The delay sounds like the usual hdmi handshake arrangement. HDCP on hdmi requires the video source (hdr-1000s) and destination (the TV) to exchange information in a process known as handshaking. Basically the TV has to tell the box that it's not a recorder and also pass information to the hdr as to what video standards it is capable of receiving.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 17:37:22 #3 |
  4. Al Catraz

Al Catraz

I too have a panny TV with power on pref set to AV and the 1000s on hdmi1. When I switch on the TV, there is a very short burst of sound from the freeview channel the TV is tuned to before the hdmi handshake process is completed and then I see the humax startup screens.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 23:39:30 #4 |
  5. Al Catraz

Al Catraz

in fact, it still happens even when the humax is already switched on so i'd say this was a panny bug, nothing to do with the humax.

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 18:33:09 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments and suggestions. Am going to try connecting to my terrestrial aerial to see whether a short burst via that is preferable to the error message. Either way, it looks as if we Panny owners have to accept the short delay whilst handshaking occurs.

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 20:40:16 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

monterey - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks everyone for your helpful comments and suggestions. Am going to try connecting to my terrestrial aerial to see whether a short burst via that is preferable to the error message. Either way, it looks as if we Panny owners have to accept the short delay whilst handshaking occurs.

Its not a bug it's 100% normal. In fact because I have my box connected via a AV amplifier to a Sony TV I get a double delay handshake to amp and then handshake to TV. If you change your TV it won't make any difference. The time to worry is if the handshake fails, you finish up with a blue or green screen.

Can I take it that this is the first external HD source you have used with your TV ?

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 21:03:52 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

monterey

[Can I take it that this is the first external HD source you have used with your TV ?]

No. I am an escapee from Sky and their HD box, but then with a 7 years old Panasonic TV. There was never any apparent picture delay with that combination, so a little odd that I get it now with a new TV!

| Fri 15 Feb 2013 22:59:23 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

it's not 100% normal,
    I have a Toshiba and there's no problem, picture is there straight away.
    My partner's Panasonic with the Humax is another story. Her panny can only be set to AV preference and this worked fine with HD Sky, however now I've convinced her to get rid of that expensive rubbish, the Humax doesn't display immediatley, we end up toggling AV source on the Panny to get a picture, I've not had the patience to wait and the aerial for freeview isn't connected which I'll try next time to see if it speeds things up.
    There are two problems here, firstly Humax with an over zealous implementation of hdcp which isn't seen with sky, ps3's, WD media players, pc's, other hdmi sources etc. and secondly Panasonic clearly have a problem as my partner's TV reacts differently to the Humax than my Toshiba both 4-5 years old.

I was following this post hoping to find a solution for the Panasonic, however it looks like we'll have to grin and bear it. Panasonic aren't going to come up with a firmware release and Humax, who should know which part of their handshaking/hdmi-output is causing problems, have no inclination to change their software.

It's so annoying, I hate Sky and want to liberate people away from it and Humax can't or won't let their equipment connect via hdmi as other suppliers do. Luckily my partner has seen sense and realised the £600 a year bill is daft, however the fact that her HD sky box and other equipment connect without problem and the Humax doesn't is a pain and I'm sure people return boxes as faulty as well as re-iterating their woes to friends and potential buyers.

Back to your original question Monterey, Humax do have a problem with hdmi/hdcp, but so do Panasonic. Humax haven't been or won't be bothered to fix it so I guess you're right, the affected panny owners have to accept the short delay.

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 1:03:42 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.