My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Pause / rewind live tv

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

scsjason

Hi
    I read somewhere that you can hang a usb drive off the HD-FOX T2 to do recording. While I'm not that interested in actually recording programs, I would like to be able to pause and rewind live TV. Is it possible with this device ?

--
    jason

| Thu 17 Nov 2011 17:01:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes it is.

| Thu 17 Nov 2011 17:05:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

scsjason

Great, thanks. One more question comes to mind, as I don;t want to record
    any actual programs, just be able to pause and rewind live TV, is it possible to
    use a USB memory stick in place of a USB hard disk ?

| Thu 17 Nov 2011 22:10:03 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No because they aren't large enough for the recording buffer. You need a HDD (at least 160GB if I remember correctly).

The box needs to format the drive and you need to enable time shifting. You might not want to record programmes but how do you imagine live pause, rewind and fast forward works ?

When you select a new channel the box starts recording the live content to a file on the HDD. When you pause and then restart the programme is replayed from the buffer file till you get back to real time using forward skip or fast forward.

If you rewind the buffer to the start of the programme you can record all of it.

Time shifting and recording are two sides of the same coin.

| Thu 17 Nov 2011 22:18:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

scsjason

Hi,
    I understand that pausing live TV requires storage, but at most it is a 2 hour window of a single channel. I'm just not sure how much space that requires but had just been wondering whether an 8G memory stick would be sufficient. I hadn't realised the box required a minimum 160Gb hard disk.

--
    jason

| Fri 18 Nov 2011 7:56:33 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scsjason - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    I understand that pausing live TV requires storage, but at most it is a 2 hour window of a single channel. I'm just not sure how much space that requires but had just been wondering whether an 8G memory stick would be sufficient. I hadn't realised the box required a minimum 160Gb hard disk.
    --
    jason

8GB would not be enough storage for 2hrs of a full-HD channel using a decent bitrate.

| Fri 18 Nov 2011 10:15:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

scsjason - 2 days ago  » 
    Great, thanks. One more question comes to mind, as I don;t want to record
    any actual programs, just be able to pause and rewind live TV, is it possible to
    use a USB memory stick in place of a USB hard disk ?

80GB works for me. 60GB only works for me as read only, or for copying from/to another drive when I attach a hub, but does not allow the drive to be set up for either buffering or recording.
    (The buffer itself is a true 20GB.)

| Sun 20 Nov 2011 18:29:24 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.