My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Pausing live radio - possible?

(32 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Hi, maybe I'm wrong but I'm positive I was able to pause live radio on my Foxsat HDR. I can pause TV and was also pleased that this facility was also possible with regard to radio, but live radio will not pause.
    Am I wrong in believing this was once possible and if so, why can't I now do it?

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 10:58:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can only pause radio by starting a recording by pushing the record button and then replaying the recording a few seconds behind real time.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 17:14:40 #2 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Just a thought but does this imply that if I leave my Foxsat turned on and tuned into a radio station that the hard disk will spin down as it will not be recording the timeslip buffer? Would be handy.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 17:57:32 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Just a thought but does this imply that if I leave my Foxsat turned on and tuned into a radio station that the hard disk will spin down as it will not be recording the timeslip buffer? Would be handy.

No way of telling but at least on mine, you can't pause a radio recording until you start recording it. You would need a sensitive power meter or an earhole next to the box to check

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 18:44:37 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thanks for the responses, but unles l'm really deluding myself I'm positive I could at one time pause live radio. I appreciate I can pause recorded programmes, whether TV or radio but I still think I could previously pause live radio but I must be mistaken!
    As an aside, can't really see why it's not possible to pause live TV and not radio!
    Thanks again for replies.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 20:05:59 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

biffta - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the responses, but unles l'm really deluding myself I'm positive I could at one time pause live radio. I appreciate I can pause recorded programmes, whether TV or radio but I still think I could previously pause live radio but I must be mistaken!
    As an aside, can't really see why it's not possible to pause live TV and not radio!
    Thanks again for replies.

Not sure how long your memory is. Check the date of the last software update on your Foxsat-HDR. Only other possibility is there has been some subtle change in the transmission parameters used for radio. Have you checked all the radio channels on the Freesat epg ?

No doubt it it is possible and it may well have worked at one time. TBH I don'tuse radio much apart from recording some content to listen to on my car radio on long trips.

Why not just press the record button or schedule the radio recording from the epg the same as a video recording.

No chance of a software upgrade to correct this if it did work at anytime.

I can check if it works on a 2nd generation Humax Freesat box if it helps.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 20:33:25 #6 |
  7. gomezz

gomezz

special member

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » You would need a sensitive power meter or an earhole next to the box to check

A hand on the box is another way of checking. I am in the habit of leaving a PVR turned on if it is due to be used within the next hour (viewing or recording) but my OCD over the extra disk bearing wear while it records the time shift buffer which I never use irks me. Which is why I prefer my Digitalstream PVR as it lets you turn time shifting off and I will happily leave that on all day from its first use of the day until the last.

| Thu 20 Apr 2017 22:56:00 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I can hear the spin of the disk but I have yet to give it a chance to spin down while not active ie 5, 10 minutes or more.

(or is it the fan I can hear - does it have a fan?)

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 14:46:14 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I can hear the spin of the disk but I have yet to give it a chance to spin down while not active ie 5, 10 minutes or more.
    (or is it the fan I can hear - does it have a fan?)

It has a fan but it has smart temperature control. Unlikely to be needed when just using radio. Also box may need to be not recording or within 15 mins of a recording start.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 14:50:54 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Yes, Graham I can press record and then I can pause. My query was just to enquire if anyone had any recollection of being able to pause live radio. Often I listen to the odd programme on Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra and recently as I going out of the room I pressed pause but it didn't work which surprised me.
    Perhaps I am mistaken, but I'm pretty sure when I first got my Humax it wouldn't pause live radio which somewhat disappointed me, then after quite some time I found it would! Now it won't so I really don't know what happened. An update?

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 14:55:37 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.