My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Pausing live radio - possible?

(32 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

biffta - 1 minute ago  » 
    Yes, Graham I can press record and then I can pause. My query was just to enquire if anyone had any recollection of being able to pause live radio. Often I listen to the odd programme on Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra and recently as I going out of the room I pressed pause but it didn't work which surprised me.
    Perhaps I am mistaken, but I'm pretty sure when I first got my Humax it wouldn't pause live radio which somewhat disappointed me, then after quite some time I found it would! Now it won't so I really don't know what happened. An update?

The last software update on a Foxsat was years ago. Like I said the only time I ever used the radio was for recording for listening to in my car, so can't be sure if you could ever pause live. My AV recievers have always had radio tuners which were used for live listening. These days I mostly use a Amazon Echo dot for radio or my Samsung Tablet with iplayer radio.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 15:01:37 #11 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Another option to pausing live broadcast radio is to use BBC iPlayer Radio to stream or download. I use the app on my tablet a lot for this.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 16:16:22 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thanks, yes I use it a lot on my iPad and iPod and also stream to Airport Expresses and indeed I can then pause live radio. It's only a picky thing probably I accept, but sometimes when I have the TV on I'll change to a radio station to keep the sound in my lounge through my soundbar and would like on rare occasions to pause it if I leave the room.
    My main query was if this had been ever possible on my Humax which I recall it once was, but as yet I haven't had a yes or no!
    Thanks again.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 16:33:18 #13 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Plug a Chromecast dongle or similar into a spare HDMI port on your TV then you can cast iPlayer Radio from your iGadget through the TV / Soundbar.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 21:17:44 #14 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

gomezz - 6 hours ago  » 
    I can hear the spin of the disk but I have yet to give it a chance to spin down while not active ie 5, 10 minutes or more.
    (or is it the fan I can hear - does it have a fan?)

Given it a good couple of hours sitting there with no recording or playback activity and can still hear the hard disk so that's that.

| Fri 21 Apr 2017 21:19:23 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thanks for that, but as I've said I have enough devices to be able to listen to broadcasts on my devices as well as streaming to my Apple TV which can play through my soundbar. I can of course the pause audio on a device.
    The point of my original question was just to say I recall being able to pause radio on my Humax which I can't do now.
    I just wondered if I was mistaken and it was never possible!
    Still not received an answer to that simple question, so I can only assume it was never possible and I'm deluding myself!
    Thanks again.

| Sat 22 Apr 2017 10:54:03 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wmsxw16

Hi you are not deluded, I have had my FoxSat machine for over 7 years and until last week I was able to pause live radio. My probem however may be even more subtle, I can still pause live TV and commercial radio channels but not BBC radio (Freesat channels 701 to 717), you might want to try pausing a commercial station i.e. Absolute radio channel 724, if we both have the same problem we may be a step closer to resolving the issue.

Steve.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 13:04:25 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thanks so much Steve. At least it seems I'm not mistake on this point. However, just checked and CAN pause Commercial radio but I find I have to wait a few seconds before I'm able to do it. BBC stations I cannot pause, which I'm now positive I could once do. I know this is the Foxsat forum, but I'd be interested to know if other Humax models can pause. Also, wonder if Sky boxes can?
    Don't know why this has happened, Humax or the BBC?
    Thanks very much. It's good to discover that I'm not entirely deluded!

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 13:17:25 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I can pause Radio 4 on a HDR1000S and HDR-FOX-T2 (after a short period to establish the time shift buffer).

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 13:35:10 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wmsxw16

We do have the same problem as I CAN still pause commercial radio. I would like to resolve this issue as I use other machines for recording TV and other media but find the Foxsat great for radio i.e. better than average audio quality and use the pause function often like when me and my wife compete with each other on BBC radio 2 pop master quiz, if one of is taken short we just press pause then continue later, I know I could start record then go back later but there is the chance she may hear the next answer and cheat! she does that you know. Can anyone help?

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 14:01:54 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.