My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Pausing live radio - possible?

(32 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wmsxw16 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    We do have the same problem as I CAN still pause commercial radio. I would like to resolve this issue as I use other machines for recording TV and other media but find the Foxsat great for radio i.e. better than average audio quality and use the pause function often like when me and my wife compete with each other on BBC radio 2 pop master quiz, if one of is taken short we just press pause then continue later, I know I could start record then go back later but there is the chance she may hear the next answer and cheat! she does that you know. Can anyone help?

If you start a recording and play it back straight away in chasing playback (no need to come back later) you are only a few seconds behind real time. The audio quality will be the same on any satellite reciever.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 14:10:03 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

wmsxw16

Thanks, I meant the audio quality from the analoge output, good quality DAC,s I assume. Initially I did try the usual things, factory reset and reluctantly reformating the HDD to no avail. I did wonder if the BBC had changed anything in its radio transmission but I think not, in desperation I reformated the HDD twice in sucession and found I could pause radio again thus the issue was with the box, but unfortunatly next morning problem returned and now reformating HDD has no effect.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 14:28:06 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wmsxw16 - 28 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, I meant the audio quality from the analoge output, good quality DAC,s I assume. Initially I did try the usual things, factory reset and reluctantly reformating the HDD to no avail. I did wonder if the BBC had changed anything in its radio transmission but I think not, in desperation I reformated the HDD twice in sucession and found I could pause radio again thus the issue was with the box, but unfortunatly next morning problem returned and now reformating HDD has no effect.

Seems pretty certain to be something different in the broadcast stream.

Why not just press the red record button as the programme starts, go straight to media and playback the recording ? You can then pause as many times as you want.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 14:59:32 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

Thanks, but doesn't exactly replace the handiness of being able to just pause and resume the live broadcast. Interesting that this is possible on other models.
    Not the end of the world, but something I occasionally miss.
    Thanks again to all.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 15:08:16 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

wmsxw16

I have the Humax box connected to a multi zone AV amp so I can listen to radio and other media in various rooms in the house and can control the Humax and amp via remote ir system from any room. To do as you suggest recording then going into media and playing back I need vision of the TV to select the file, this I can only do from the living room where the TV is. I realise it is possible but find it frustrating as I know it can be done straight from pause as it has for years.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 15:23:57 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

biffta

I do wonder though why the change has taken place and where does the responsibility rest? If I knew if it was down to a Humax update I wouldn't have bothered with it. Of course it may not have been.
    As an aside, how often do updates come along? Can someone tell me their software number so I can check where I stand?
    Thanks.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 15:27:57 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wmsxw16

To sum up what I think I know now.

1) The BBC radio transmission has not changed, as previously stated I did restore the pause function by reformating the HDD but only for a few hours pointing to issue with machine.

2) I have not knowingly updated the software it is currently issue HPRSFCI 1.00.21. I was led to believe Humax no longer provide updates for the older Foxsat machines?

Any thoughts anyone?

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 15:59:23 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

biffta - 57 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, but doesn't exactly replace the handiness of being able to just pause and resume the live broadcast. Interesting that this is possible on other models.
    Not the end of the world, but something I occasionally miss.
    Thanks again to all.

It works exactly the same as pausing live, just a few seconds behind, which you will be anyway once you pause a live stream. If you forget to record instead of pressing pause press record and go to the recording.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 16:07:58 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wmsxw16 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    To sum up what I think I know now.
    1) The BBC radio transmission has not changed, as previously stated I did restore the pause function by reformating the HDD but only for a few hours pointing to issue with machine.
    2) I have not knowingly updated the software it is currently issue HPRSFCI 1.00.21. I was led to believe Humax no longer provide updates for the older Foxsat machines?
    Any thoughts anyone?

I firmly believe it's down to a broadcast stream issue most likely a zero length .nts file is being created. Similar has happened before with TV that required a change at the broadcaster end. If it was a hardware issue then you couldn't pause live TV and it wouldn't be repeatable on other machines.

I will grab a copy of 0.ts and have a look what it contains.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 16:11:04 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Looks to be an issue with the navigation file 0.nts. If you press pause after listening to radio you see the elapsed time from when you started listening. If you try and go back the cursor moves but as soon as you release the rewind it jumps back to real time. This is controlled by the 0.nts file.

| Tue 25 Apr 2017 16:27:36 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.