My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

picture ratio

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Hi. I have just noticed that True Movies is showing in 4.3 aspect even though I have settings for widescreen. Have I got my settings correct. Kindly advise.

| Wed 21 Sep 2016 19:14:16 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

patsy - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Hi. I have just noticed that True Movies is showing in 4.3 aspect even though I have settings for widescreen. Have I got my settings correct. Kindly advise.

Quite probable an 4:3 recording.
    Your widescreen settings describe the TV screen dimensions.
    Your TV settings can either stretch (and distort) the aspect ratio or leave it the way it was recorded.

Choose what you want.

| Wed 21 Sep 2016 19:31:15 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you think about it. If you want a 4:3 picture to fill a 16:9 display. There is basically just 2 options.

Stretch it sideways so becomes 16:9, this makes round objects wide ovals. Basically Twiggy looks like Miss Piggy

Scale it in same aspect ratio till it fills the screen sideways, losing a large amount of the picture pixels top and bottom. As 4:3 is generally poor quality doing this reduces the amount of original pixels that are used to fill the screen. This makes the picture even worse quality.

To complicate matters some broadcasters make 4:3 content by adding black pixels left and right to create a 16:9 image. It looks 4:3 of course because you can't see totally black pixels.

| Wed 21 Sep 2016 20:02:49 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

patsy

Many thanks to you both.

| Wed 21 Sep 2016 21:11:14 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.