My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Picture settings lost on standby

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, appreciate any advice on this one. I have a PVR-9300T which works perfectly apart from one oddity. I set up the machine, tuned in and set the picture settings to 16:9 and 720P to get the best picture on my widescreen led tv. If I leave the unit switched on all is fine; if I put it in standby with the remote or switch off at the back, the settings are lost and it reverts to 4:3 and 576P.

I've tried a different front panel and it's fine with that. I noticed there's a small battery on the front panel pcb - is it likely the battery has failed and with no power the board won't hold the data?

| Thu 30 Jan 2020 12:15:45 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 18 mins ago  » 
    Hi, appreciate any advice on this one. I have a PVR-9300T which works perfectly apart from one oddity. I set up the machine, tuned in and set the picture settings to 16:9 and 720P to get the best picture on my widescreen led tv. If I leave the unit switched on all is fine; if I put it in standby with the remote or switch off at the back, the settings are lost and it reverts to 4:3 and 576P.
    I've tried a different front panel and it's fine with that.

Can I check that I am understanding correctly: you change the front panel and settings are retained when power is turned off? It is a bit odd as I always thought the setting were held in flash RAM on the mother board.

I noticed there's a small battery on the front panel pcb - is it likely the battery has failed and with no power the board won't hold the data?

Are you sure it is a battery? I have never owned a 9300T so I don't know but the earlier 9200T has a large capacitor on the front panel to keep the clock chip working during periods when the power is off and I don't believe there were any data storage components on the front panel.

You may have made a very interesting discovery.

| Thu 30 Jan 2020 12:42:46 #2 |
  3. Biggles

Biggles

special member

This is the sort of capacitor Martin is refering to, as you can see there are several designs but they do look like little batteries.

| Thu 30 Jan 2020 19:02:58 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Yes, I think you're right about the capacitor. I'll check the board when I have a moment. Unless I'm getting forgetful in my old age, I'm sure I transferred this fault from one 9300 to another by swapping the front panel.

| Fri 31 Jan 2020 10:00:55 #4 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

batteryman - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yes, I think you're right about the capacitor. I'll check the board when I have a moment. Unless I'm getting forgetful in my old age, I'm sure I transferred this fault from one 9300 to another by swapping the front panel.

As Martin has said, this could be a very interesting discovery if you have remembered correctly. My partner has a 9300 that doesn't have this problem but she's not going to let me take it to bits just to look.

| Fri 31 Jan 2020 12:24:11 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Coming back on this one - looks like you were right. I had to change the mainboard to cure this fault, swapping front panels had no effect. Must have got my logic muddled somewhere.

On another note, how do you reset the pin code on the 9300? Is it by using a sequence of RGYB keystrokes? I've managed this on several other models but not the 9300.

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 13:41:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Sorted the pin code with help from the 9300 FAQ list.

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 13:55:11 #7 |
  8. Biggles

Biggles

special member

batteryman - 22 mins ago  » 
    Coming back on this one - looks like you were right. I had to change the mainboard to cure this fault, swapping front panels had no effect. Must have got my logic muddled somewhere.

Still interesting though as if the mainboards are the same version number it could suggests a component failure is causing the 'reset' problem. Any chance you can find a version number printed on the mainboards to see if they are the same or different?

| Thu 27 Feb 2020 14:07:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Afraid not, I don't have it now.

| Sat 29 Feb 2020 15:42:33 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.