My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Playing HD TS files on a tablet W/O any conversion

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lost Kahuna

Let me share some information with you which some of you may find useful. The only time I get to watch TV programmes is on the train during my daily commuting! Hence, playing recorded programmes on an Android tablet is very important to me. I used Freemake Video Converter before to covert decrypted HD TS files from my Humax HD T2 to play on my M6 tablet. This solution works but the conversion takes time even on powerful PCs. I know that there are other converters that will convert faster but lose quality. I always fancied playing HD TS files without any conversion.

Recently I discovered that the following combination works well:
    Software: MX Player [v1.7.26 ARMv7 NEON] in H/W mode
    Tablet: ONN M6 [Android 4.1, Rockchip RK3066 1.6GHz Dual Core, GPU: Mali 400 Quad Core, RAM: 1GB]
    HD TS File [e.g. Codec: H264, Resolution: 1920x1080, Frame rate: 50, MPEG AAC Audio]

Obviously, if you have a better tablet, you might be able to run these files in S/W mode (i.e. using CPUs only without involving multimedia chipsets). However, my M6 struggles in S/W mode and the audio goes slightly out of sync. Having said that, M6 has no issues in playing MP4 files downloaded by get_iplayer or SD TS files from the Humax box.

Unfortunately, any TV programme going beyond ~1h30min will produce a file larger than 4GB. The FAT32 partition on my tablet cannot handle these files. I have tried to split them with SmartCutter and TSDoctor [Raw Cutter]. The result so far has been very uncertain. I mean, I managed to produce some files compatible with my M6 by shifting the split point. But I don’t like this trial and error process.

Does anyone know of any software that can reliably split a HD TS file? TS Doctor has many options. Perhaps, a combination of them could solve my problem.

| Sat 8 Mar 2014 23:15:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,
    the specification for the ONN M6 9.7" display shows a 1024 x 768 physical screen resolution. I understand the logic of not converting the ts files, but the M6 screen wouldn't display a 1280 x 720 properly let alone a 1920 x 1080
    I know from experience that programmes filmed in HD look better on SD than SD filmed programmes on SD, if that makes sense. Can you tell the difference when playing back something on the M6 like Dr.Who recorded in HD and SD? I'd be surprised if there's much or any difference on the tablet's 1024x768 resolution.

I may be wrong with the M6 specs, in which case have you tried different file systems on the microSD card. I'd be surprised if the tablet couldn't read one of the following: NTFS, Ext3 or exFat, all of which would negate the 4GB fat32 problem

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 1:27:03 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I play HD Movies and TV content in originsl .ts format on a Nexus 7 (Full HD screen) from a 750GB usb portable drive. It will play back full quality Blu-ray (1080p24) no problem. I use Nexus Media Importer and MXplayer. The USB lead has a separate power plug so on long flights I connect a portable mobile phone charger. I also have a portable headphone amplifier so two can watch at the same time.

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 11:20:39 #3 |
  4. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

@grahamlthompson. What software version is your Nexus on? I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and Humax HD programmes used to play without problems, but since the update to KitKat, this is no longer the case. Google have not fixed this yet.

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 12:21:27 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Same tablet and on latest software 4.4.2 (KitKat) Try remuxing with TSmuxergui. This only takes a few minutes.

| Sun 9 Mar 2014 12:35:05 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.