My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Playing HDR files?

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mhoam

Hi,
    I'm considering replacing my much loved HDR running the Custom Firmware with a new Aura. The HDR has the "nowster" patch installed so the recordings are unencrypted. My wife would like to be able to replay many of her recordings so my plan is to remove the 1Tb drive from the HDR, fit it into a USB drive and connect that to the Aura. I believe I will be able to play the .TS files using Plex or something similar.

Before committing to the boss, I need some reassurance
    Has anyone done this and if so, does it work?
    Is Plex the best (correct) app to use?
    Do I need to pre-process the HDR disk in some way to make it accessible via a USB drive?

many thanks, especially to the Beta testers, for improving the Aura so much over the last year

cheers

| Mon 4 Oct 2021 12:04:04 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

Not sure if it’s helpful, but I play files (mp4, QT etc, mp3) from my NAS drive on the Aura using VLC (Ethernet)
    I’ve played mp4 files from a usb drive (fat32) using VLC.

Not used Plex, sorry.

| Tue 5 Oct 2021 11:54:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mhoam

Thanks Dan,
    I use VLC on my Windows 10 PC, didn’t realise it was available on the Aura.
    Have you ever played .TS files on the Aura?
    Cheers

| Tue 5 Oct 2021 14:12:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mullers63

You will need to be a bit careful as there is a mismatch of format types between the HDR drive (in the machine) and that required for a USB unit - EXT vs FAT

I managed to do what you are trying to do but this involved mounting the HDR drive (EXT format) in a PC to copy the files to a the PC's internal disk. These were then copied back to the reformatted drive (via USB if I remember correctly). I use VLC to play them on the Aura

I had to do this as my HDR had died, otherwise I may well have been able to more simply copy the files via the network to the PC - hopefully you are able to do this.

I needed to download a few freeware apps to get this to work

One further problem with my method was that the size of file transfer was limited and I had to split some larger files.

It was a while ago and I haven't documented what I did so hopefully someone has some simple steps to follow.

| Tue 5 Oct 2021 16:18:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mhoam

Mullers63, Thanks for the reminder of the drive format and the fact that the Aura needs a FAT formatted USB drive!
    Been a while since I played with the HDR and the custom firmware.
    The box is still in use so I could use FTP or Windows networking, of course any network access is going to be slow with such large files. I did use some freeware ext4 drivers in Win7, they may still work in Win 10, allowing me to copy the files onto my PC, then back onto the reformatted drive in a external enclosure.

Did you just copy and play the .TS files without any modification?
    Cheers

| Tue 5 Oct 2021 16:54:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

Hi,
    Not from a downloaded or recorded file. My previous STB didn’t have that functionality.
    But as a test I downloaded a sample .ts file from the web and it played fine through VLC.

| Tue 5 Oct 2021 18:02:48 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mhoam

Thanks, sounds very encouraging

| Tue 5 Oct 2021 20:13:07 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mullers63

mhoam - 15 hours ago  » 
    Mullers63, Thanks for the reminder of the drive format and the fact that the Aura needs a FAT formatted USB drive!
    Been a while since I played with the HDR and the custom firmware.
    The box is still in use so I could use FTP or Windows networking, of course any network access is going to be slow with such large files. I did use some freeware ext4 drivers in Win7, they may still work in Win 10, allowing me to copy the files onto my PC, then back onto the reformatted drive in a external enclosure.
    Did you just copy and play the .TS files without any modification?
    Cheers

Files play on VLC with no problem without any modification (with a strange exception that one old program insists on playing 4:3 although the original was widescreen)

| Wed 6 Oct 2021 8:35:49 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

morrig

I am using a Seagate 2Tb drive that is NTFS formatted and plays perfectly. The largest video file is 40GB.

| Sat 9 Oct 2021 20:58:59 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mhoam

Thanks for the info morrig

| Sat 9 Oct 2021 21:04:41 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.