My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Playing recordings on PC

(10 posts)
  1. vinnypowell

vinnypowell

Just upgraded my Bush receiver to the Humax HB1000S. Works wonderfully even here in Amsterdam. I was also surprised that the ITV player works even though the others, (BBCi player, Channel 4 and Channel 5), recognise my IP address as being Dutch! My question is about the recordings I make on an external hard drive. I see three files ending: .hjm, .hts and .nts. The file ending .hts is the largest and I assume is the recorded programme. I've read a lot about being able to view these on a pc using players such as VLC, but can't get these the file to open. Is this because it is a .hts file and not a regular .ts file? Would love to be able to watch these recording on the go...if anyone knows how to do it?!

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 18:53:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The recordings are encrypted, only the box that recorded it will play the recordings back.

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 19:02:56 #2 |
  3. vinnypowell

vinnypowell

That's a shame....One more question, if I may? If I take the box to another TV, without it being connected to the sat cable, would I still be able to watch the recordings?

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 19:41:21 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Sure I have seen a recent post by Barry confirming this works. If you want to export recordings try and get hold of a Foxsat-hdr (Humax direct probably still have a few)

| Wed 11 Dec 2013 19:56:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

titan

The only problem with watching without the dish is that you get "no signal" message or sth like that.
    I cannot see how to remove this.

| Sat 28 Dec 2013 8:56:10 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

titan - 3 hours ago  » 
    The only problem with watching without the dish is that you get "no signal" message or sth like that.
    I cannot see how to remove this.

Presume you have tried the usual keys (EXIT BACK for instance) ? I don't have the box and not sure trying it with a HDR1000S will give the same results.

| Sat 28 Dec 2013 12:21:23 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

As per post in other thread:

Looks like the HB is different to the HDR in this respect.

No way that I can find, next software update appears to remove the banner when playing back recordings.

| Sat 28 Dec 2013 12:21:37 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Royo

Hi,

Wish I had read the above before I purchased my HB-1000S

The ability of this unit to provide recordings that could be played back on other platforms (primarily android)was a topic of in-depth discussion with the vendor before the purchase was made.

Before I return the unit as not fit for purpose may I ask where this restriction is documented so I have some evidence to support its return.

Also, can anyone advise a similar unit where recordings may be played back on other platforms.

Many thanks

| Mon 6 Jan 2014 23:27:21 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's not documented as such. It's imposed by the providers of the epg (Freesat - Freetime) as a condition of the Freetime licensing and logo.

As the actual transmissions are broadcast free to air without encryption there are loads of ways of recording these without encryption. Trouble is most do not give you the convenience of the Freesat epg and it's AR/Series Recording capability.

The earlier G1 Foxsat-Hdr does record SD content without encryption, as a result it's very simple to export these recordings to view on other platforms. The Custom Firmware for this box extends the capability for other devices like an Android tablet to watch these directly over a network (even HD ones using methods that cannot be mentioned here) or via a usb copy.

Generic fta satellite boxes do not have this restriction nor HTPC satellite cards.

As your problem is entirely down to Humax boxes strict conformance to the <freetime> spec there is no way you can say it's not for fit for purpose in respect of the maker.

If vou asked this question directly to the supplier then you have a clear case under the SOGA regs. All you have to do is point the retailer to the freetime drm restrictions which they were clearly unaware of (The information is freely and widely available). Basically they mis-represented the product capability, ergo you should get a full re-fund.

Welcome to the forum.

| Tue 7 Jan 2014 0:16:25 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Royo

Thank you for the very informative & full reply. Much appreciated.

| Fri 10 Jan 2014 23:43:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.