My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Playing video recordings.

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sighthound80

My FVP4000T instruction book tells me that as long as I have Samba switched on and FTP on also on the Humax, providing the laptop recognise these signals then files can be transferred. I have successfully achieved this. However, the files were not recongnised for playing and Humax recommend VLC player for this. So I loaded VLC successfully. Still no joy.

My Knowhow (PC World support contratt guy) says it is a codex problem. This has been changed to protect copyright.

Can anyone tell me how I can successfully play these video recocrded files on my laptop which VLC repeatedly refuses to do? \/

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 15:27:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

tavistockstar

The only files you can play via ftp or Samba are programmes you have recorded in Standard definition. The Humax box encodes the HD broadcasts which can then only be played back directly from the box onto your TV. There is no way to decode these files, each box uses a different encryption key. So if you want to move and watch your recorded files via ftp make sure your record in SD. The VLC player is the right player to use to play these files.

| Sat 8 Oct 2016 23:18:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

tavistockstar - 7 minutes ago  » 
    The only files you can play via ftp or Samba are programmes you have recorded in Standard definition. The Humax box encodes the HD broadcasts which can then only be played back directly from the box onto your TV. There is no way to decode these files, each box uses a different encryption key. So if you want to move and watch your recorded files via ftp make sure your record in SD. The VLC player is the right player to use to play these files.

All recordings, be they HD or not SD (standard definition), are encrypted. To transfer standard definition recordings and have them decrypted what has been repeatedly stated was that you need to avoid FTP. My understanding is that leaves USB or Samba.
    Are you sure that FTP is working for you?
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer

| Sat 8 Oct 2016 23:28:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

esme

All files are encrypted whether SD or HD

Transfer via Samba or FTP doesn't decrypt them unless the latest update changed that, in fact I could only transfer with SAMBA & FTP on v1.01.25, the v1.01.31 update screwed those transfers up completely (see my post, p5, Software Update)

The only ways to transfer programmes off the FVP that have worked for me are to USB stick which was newly formatted as FAT32 or via the media server over the network but that required a Windows 10 machine as no other version of Windows and nothing I found on L*nux could see it.

Once a file has been decrypted you can play it in any media player.

Transfer to USB seems to take about as long as watching the programme, it seems slightly faster over the network

The version when I did my last set of tests was v1.01.31 the FVP has updated since then & I haven't had chance to check it again so this may have changed

| Mon 10 Oct 2016 11:46:31 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

CashelElms

I have exactly the same problem. I've moved files from my HDR2000T on an external hard drive and can see them on the FVP4000T menus but they appear to be the wrong format / codec. Is there a conversion tool that will allow me to play the old files on the new machine?

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 15:08:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

CashelElms - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've moved files from my HDR2000T on an external hard drive and can see them on the FVP4000T menus but they appear to be the wrong format / codec.

Are these SD or HD recordings?

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 16:11:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

CashelElms

Both

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 16:23:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

CashelElms - 1 hour ago  » 
    Both

Are the HD recordings still encrypted? Did you copy just the .ts file or the supporting files as well. I suspect the supporting files will be in a different format so perhaps try renaming them (or moving them to a different directory) on an SD recording and see if it will play.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 17:35:17 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

CashelElms - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have exactly the same problem. I've moved files from my HDR2000T on an external hard drive and can see them on the FVP4000T menus but they appear to be the wrong format / codec. Is there a conversion tool that will allow me to play the old files on the new machine?

SD and HD files are encrypted on disk on a HDR-2000T. Copying SD files to usb decrypts the file on copying. I don't have the 4000T or the 2000T but it may be possible to play SD back directly from the 2000T hard disk on the 4000T. If not then uploading (or using usb) on the 4000T (only upload the transport stream .ts) or if using usb rename any sidecar files with the same name as the .ts as these are likely to confuse the 4000T. Not allowed to discuss using 2000T exported HD recordings here. Ask on one of the other Humax support forums.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 17:59:54 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sorcerer13

I'm upgrading from an FVP-5000T to an Aura, and want to copy old recordings across.
    As an intermediate step, I've enabled "Network Server" on the FVP, and I'm copying files (recordings)to my Windows 11 PC.
    In theory I could watch the recordings on my PC, and although I can see the picture, there's no sound!
    A little research implies that I need a CODEC on my PC to fully enable playback, but which one?
    There seem to be a lot about, but I don't know which one to install.
    Can anyone recommend a particular CODEC to use?

| Thu 5 Oct 2023 12:14:17 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.