My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HD FOX T2

Poor HD signal

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phyllion

I have just purchased a Humaxdigital Fox T2 set top box. All seemed simple to set up. However, the HD channels have a poor signal strength and have been pixellating badly. A test recording was unwatchable after a while.

At fist I wondered if it might be the poor weather, but is there anything else I can do? I have tried re-running the auto-tune. Should I try to manually tune, will this help? I cannot alter the aerial itself.

The results of the postcode check on digital UK are:
    The Crystal Palace transmitter in the London TV region is your most likely transmitter there are no likely alternative transmitters for your address/postcode.
    The same site suggests I should have good signal for HD services.

| Wed 4 Jan 2012 20:44:02 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

If you live in an area with multiple transmitters then a manual tune will fix this problem.

Read my blog post about the HD FOX T2 here: http://myhumax.org/blog/?p=540

There's a section on manual tuning.

| Wed 4 Jan 2012 21:02:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phyllion

Thanks son_t, I may try a manual tune.

Unfortunately, I am not in an area with multiple transmitters, as my 'my digital' results suggest.

| Thu 5 Jan 2012 21:45:39 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phyllion

Having just watched another HD recording, I suspect it is somethingnto do with the length of the recording - the start of it was fine, but after 40 minutes became unwatchable, jumping around and lotsof pixellation. Could the box be overheating?

| Fri 6 Jan 2012 20:11:53 #4 |
  5. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

How far from Crystal Palace are you?
    The HD signals are a lower power relative to the SD muxes, at least until later in the year when DSO occurs.

I would have thought that if the box was overheating then it would be apparent on 'live' channels as well, but if it's in a cabinet do ensure that there is sufficient ventilation.

| Sat 7 Jan 2012 15:37:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phyllion

Only about 5 miles from the transmitter.

| Sun 8 Jan 2012 10:18:15 #6 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Nearly as close as me then (in SE25), I would expect an excellent signal level.
    Are there any other factors such as high buildings between you and the transmitter, or poor screening on the aerial cable?
    I get a good signal even on an indoor aerial and would expect you to be able to do the same at that distance. Maybe worth a try.

| Sun 8 Jan 2012 15:59:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanDawes

Before Xmas when trying to decide which freeview HD PVR to buy I read a lot of postings on the internet, in forums and newsgroups, one recurring theme was a problem due to interference between the signals through the HDMI cable and those going to the aerial when viewing HD channels particularly when the HD signal was not yet switched to full power at the transmitter (as with Crystal Palace at present). If you are connecting by HDMI remove it and replace it with a scart cable, if the problem goes away then that is your problem. When you go back to using the HDMI cable reroute the HDMI and aerial cables as far apart as possible, you may need to replace them with higher quality ones with better screening.

Hope this helps - I've only read about the problem not experienced it myself.

Alan

| Sun 8 Jan 2012 21:40:38 #8 |
  9. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

AlanDawes - 20 hours ago  » 
    ... one recurring theme was a problem due to interference between the signals through the HDMI cable and those going to the aerial when viewing HD channels ...
    Alan

Hence my point about poor screening on the aerial cable. The cable should ideally have both braid and foil screens. Good quality HDMI cables and scart cables should be fully screened too.

| Mon 9 Jan 2012 18:43:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Phyllion

That is really interesting, thanks.

I was using the HDMI cable than came with the box. The aerial cable was a really cheap one so I will look at investing in a better one and see it that solves my problem.

I got interference when hoovering near the TV the other day so interference with the leads seems plausible.

Cheers!

| Mon 9 Jan 2012 21:57:59 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.