My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Poor Sound on DTR2000/500GB

(19 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Not sure what the OP's problem is but I have same youview unit connected to a 2014 Sony TV along with other kit such as HB 1000S, HDR T2, HD T2 - all tuned to same channel, swap between HDMI inputs and sound appears fine to me.

| Sun 16 Nov 2014 0:23:25 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

My 2010 Sony Bravia does not recognise the YouView box as an external input on any HDMI channel, so I cannot adjust any of the HDMI settings for the box.

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 10:40:37 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

rwsjr - 2 days ago  » 
    I have found the sound on a Sony Bravia HDTV using the DTR2000 to connect to it is poor using the HDMI connection. The picture is excellant, but the sound is low and muffled.

rwsjr - 3 hours ago  » 
    My 2010 Sony Bravia does not recognise the YouView box as an external input on any HDMI channel.

Select the Sony TV input that displays the picture and sound as you first described in your original post.

rwsjr - 3 hours ago  » 
    I cannot adjust any of the HDMI settings for the box.

When you can see the Youview picture on your Sony Bravia TV select the Sony's sound option screen. On the top line select 'Current' for the Target Inputs. Then page down on the Sony and select 'Volume Offset'.

rwsjr - 2 days ago  » 
    I have to turn both the Bravia and the Humax sound up to over 70 on each to hear programmes satisfactorily. Is this common? Are there any things that can be done to improve it?

You could also up the Humax volume setting so that it isn't got a 30% sound damper on its output to the TV!

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 14:45:16 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

I already have the volume offset setting on the Bravia set to +3 which seems to give relatively better clear sound.
    Not sure what you mean by upping the Humax volume setting so it has not got a 30% sound damper to the TV. Current Humax setting has to be near 70% to hear the sound. Where is this 'damper' setting on the Humax?

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 15:46:36 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rwsjr - 12 minutes ago  » 
    I already have the volume offset setting on the Bravia set to +3 which seems to give relatively better clear sound.
    Not sure what you mean by upping the Humax volume setting so it has not got a 30% sound damper to the TV. Current Humax setting has to be near 70% to hear the sound. Where is this 'damper' setting on the Humax?

He means 100% volume setting produces about the same level output as a fixed line level output would. If you use an external device to control the audio level 100% is the best setting.

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 16:01:01 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

So the Humax volume should be 100% and the Sony Volume set to a lower level? Not balancing them?

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 16:08:22 #16 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rwsjr - 7 minutes ago  » 
    So the Humax volume should be 100% and the Sony Volume set to a lower level? Not balancing them?

Note I don't have a youview box so this is based on how other Humax pvrs work.

Correct. If your pvr had a vcr scart socket, that would give you 100% audio volume irrespective of the box volume setting.

You can trim back the volume output a bit if the TV tuner volume is then lower than the Humax.

You should also turn off surround sound output in the Humax TV set up options menu if the setting is available (this will create the same audio levels for HD and SD channels).

| Mon 17 Nov 2014 16:17:47 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

brett

Hi all, I'm new to this & have just bought a DTR T200 as our old freeview box kept freezing & this had good reviews for our budget. The problem we have is that the sound is frequently "distorted" to the extent that we can't hear what is being said, if we switch source to "normal" tv there is no problem & if we switch back to the box straight away the problem is gone. I have taken the box back to the shop & changed it but the new one is the same. This has also happened on recorded programmes. I have tried a different HDMI socket on the telly (we also have the scart lead in but this makes no difference whether it is in or out), does anyone know if this is a common problem,I'm assuming the HDMI cable is ok as it is the same with the new box as well, we are using the HDMI that came with the box, I don't really want to buy an expensive lead if there is nothing wrong with the one we have. Any help would be much appreciated. (I sent an e-mail to Humax over a week ago but they haven't bothered to reply).

| Sat 22 Nov 2014 1:18:21 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rwsjr

I have raised this issue with Humax and had a reply. There are adjustments you can make to your TV HDMI sound settings that will improve things. The electronics firm I bought it from and some of the previous comments clearly indicate that there is a manufacturing issue with HDMI sound from the DTR T-2000 box. It's sound needs to be set to 100% and then the TV sound settings adjusted. I have a Sony Bravia and I found setting the audio offset to off and making manual adjustments to the bass and treble coming from the HDMI source helped a great deal. Have a look at your TV guide or manual and see what adjustments you can make to your TV HDMI sound settings.

| Sat 22 Nov 2014 11:03:46 #19 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.