My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Powers off and restarts randomly

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Telboy52

Hi, over the past month I've experienced my machine to power off and restart on its own. At first this happened soon after the box was started afer being in standby overnight. Since then I've left the box permanently on with no problem until today, when it did the same whilst watching a programme. Has anybody any idea whats going on?

| Thu 11 Dec 2014 16:38:38 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Telboy52 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi, over the past month I've experienced my machine to power off and restart on its own. At first this happened soon after the box was started afer being in standby overnight. Since then I've left the box permanently on with no problem until today, when it did the same whilst watching a programme.

Can you explain what you mean by "power off"? If you mean the box reboots randomly there a few possible causes. A relatively common one, if the box is connected to your network and content sharing is on, is some other software on the network crashing the DLNA server. Twonky on a PC or NAS is a common culprit. It could be a hardware fault or it could be a corrupt file or database. If the problem is not the DLNA problem then a reset to default settings would be a sensible starting point and if that doesn't help then possibly formatting the disk.

| Thu 11 Dec 2014 18:55:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Telboy52

Hi, yes I do mean reboots randomly. The box is connected to my home network so I can watch catch-up tv. I have recently added a WD My Cloud unit to my home network, could it be this that causes the problem?

| Fri 12 Dec 2014 16:18:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Telboy52 - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, yes I do mean reboots randomly. The box is connected to my home network so I can watch catch-up tv. I have recently added a WD My Cloud unit to my home network, could it be this that causes the problem?

Is content sharing enabled on the Humax? If it is you could try turning it off. If the problem started at the same time you added the NAS it is certainly a possibility. According to this link Link to WD Help it does use Twonky which makes it much more likely this is your problem. One way to have the NAS and the Humax (with content sharing enabled) on the same network is to install the custom firmware and the DLNA filter package.

| Fri 12 Dec 2014 16:39:40 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Telboy52

Yes content sharing was on, so it is now switched off. I will monitor it now and see what happens. Thanks for you help.

| Fri 12 Dec 2014 18:21:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

oliverb

Hi, I seem to be having a very similar problem with the box resetting suddenly, it seems to have appeared and cleared up a few times but in the last two weeks it has become very noticeable and has cut a few recordings short which is the annoying part.

At the time of the problem it didn't have a network connection so I think I can rule out that as a possible cause. I have a Wifi bridge that I only switch on when I want to use it, mainly for youtube.

The last time it started doing this I retuned it and the problems went away, it seemed to me as though the problems started when the station list was out of step with the broadcast stations.

I'm going to try a re-initialise first as retuning seemed to patch things up before. Beyond that I'm not sure where to go next, it seems as if you can't do meaningful hard drive tests or maintenance without custom firmware and I've been sticking to "stock" so far.

I think I'll start moving any "treasures" to an external drive anyway, but as there's 250Gb recorded and the largest spare drive I have lying around is 160Gb there may have to be some losses.

| Wed 31 Dec 2014 11:33:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Telboy52

Hi, my problem has gone away since I turned "Content Sharing" off, so that appears to have been the cause in my case.

| Wed 31 Dec 2014 12:01:34 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

oliverb - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi, I seem to be having a very similar problem with the box resetting suddenly, it seems to have appeared and cleared up a few times but in the last two weeks it has become very noticeable and has cut a few recordings short which is the annoying part.
    At the time of the problem it didn't have a network connection so I think I can rule out that as a possible cause. I have a Wifi bridge that I only switch on when I want to use it, mainly for youtube.
    The last time it started doing this I retuned it and the problems went away, it seemed to me as though the problems started when the station list was out of step with the broadcast stations.
    I'm going to try a re-initialise first as retuning seemed to patch things up before. Beyond that I'm not sure where to go next, it seems as if you can't do meaningful hard drive tests or maintenance without custom firmware and I've been sticking to "stock" so far.
    I think I'll start moving any "treasures" to an external drive anyway, but as there's 250Gb recorded and the largest spare drive I have lying around is 160Gb there may have to be some losses.

When you retune, check for channels over 800. If you have

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336

| Wed 31 Dec 2014 12:40:19 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

oliverb

Thankfully no it stops at 792, in our area we seem to receive one clear set of signals and little or no "fringe" reception, so I've been able to rely on automatic tuning.

| Wed 31 Dec 2014 12:55:46 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.