My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Problem replacing hard disk.

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blueberryman

Trying to replace my flaky HDR1000S hard disk with a new 2TB drive.
    When I switch on, after a few seconds, it says that the disk isn't formatted and press OK to format it. At the STORAGE screen, I select the HDD option.
    For info, it says Available 0GB, USED 0GB, Reserved 0GB and Total 0GB. I thought one of those figures would say 2TB ???
    Anyway, now being offered START DISK CLEANUP OR START DISK FORMAT.
    I select START FORMAT, and put in my 0000 pin code.
    It immediately says "Sorry, your disk is not formatted yet. Please try again later"
    The drive I bought was the Seagate ST2000VM003, so should not be a problem with that.

Any ideas, please ?

| Wed 12 Jun 2019 14:48:39 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

In your first paragraph I would have expected the disk to be immediately formatted. I forget how long the process took with me but for sure it was not instant. I don't recall being in HDD menu at menu level but at stats display.

I would remove the disk and insert it as an additional disk. Run Windows disk manager and check if any partitions have been created. From your description it appears some now exist, if so delete them.

I would then try again making sure all connectors are well home.
    I see your unit is a HDR1000S, hopefully it is not one with the failing resistor problem.

Why did you think the supplied drive was flaky?

| Wed 12 Jun 2019 15:49:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blueberryman

Hi Repassac, thanks for getting back to me.

I assumed the original drive was just worn out because I was seeing audio and video breakup very frequently, and the errors were on the recordings, not on the live broadcast. Also at exactly the same points when re-played.
    The HDR1000S was bought on the first day the box went on sale, and not had any of the well-known problems.

Yes, I was surprised to be taken to the storage menu, with HDD as the only option. Like you, I was expecting the format to just happen.

I will try to hook it up to my PC and see what is on the new disk. Bought it from Amazon, supposed to be brand new, not refurbished. It's the one that Graham has recommended.

Will let you know what happens. Thanks again.

| Wed 12 Jun 2019 16:33:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Blueberryman

Hi Repassac, the problem is resolved. The new disk was faulty, and is on it's way back to Amazon for a refund. I now have a new Western Digital drive installed and it formatted automatically just like you said.
    Many Thanks for your help the other day.

| Fri 14 Jun 2019 12:14:24 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Same happened to me two years ago. New disk from Amazon, arrived in CD packaging, faulty and returned. WD disk from EBuyer, no problems.

| Fri 14 Jun 2019 15:14:53 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

But try returning stuff to eBuyer. I did a couple of years ago and had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get my money back. "Restocking charge" and all that kind of stuff.

| Fri 14 Jun 2019 15:35:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I've never had to return anything to EBuyer, it always arrives properly packaged.
    So do you prefer Amazon who ship you drives packaged like a CD, or EBuyer who know what they are doing? I'm a regular customer of Amazon, but careful what I buy from them.

| Fri 14 Jun 2019 19:58:58 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

I have no preference that I want to discus here. I was just stating that I had had problems with a return at eBuyer.

| Fri 14 Jun 2019 22:48:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Trev - 1 mnth ago  » 
    But try returning stuff to eBuyer. I did a couple of years ago and had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get my money back. "Restocking charge" and all that kind of stuff.

Time for me to eat humble pie with regard to Ebuyer. Never had to return anything to Ebuyer in the past but have done in the past few weeks. Bought a QNAP NAS from them, the box developed a fault after 4 days use. Contacted QNAP and spent 4 days in email and diagnostic log exchanges with them, all copied to Ebuyer. Eventually QNAP agreed the box to be faulty and told me to RMA it to Ebuyer, again they were copied on this. Despite this Ebuyer insisted I not return it until I had discussed it in a phone call with their "Technical Dept". This was a clear refusal to acknowledge my statutory consumer rights (I raised the RMA in the first 7 days of receipt) and I reminded them so, but was still compelled to call and discuss. Eventually got a full refund.
    So now I won't be buying anything of complexity or substantial value from Ebuyer. I've changed the NAS order to Amazon where you can RMA no questions asked.

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 10:03:27 #9 |
  10. Trev

Trev

special member

Ah ha. Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Very similar to mine. Total disregard to the Distance Selling/ Consumer Contract (or whatever the latest name is) laws

| Fri 19 Jul 2019 23:13:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.