Problem with Channel 1 - BBC local

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andy_K

Martin, OK thank you for your help.

| Fri 8 Sep 2017 18:03:02 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andy_K

An update on this for anyone experiencing a similar problem. Despite the fact that we live only a mile or so from Derby city centre and Derby is covered by East Midlands BBC an aerial installer came round and said that he couldn't improve on our current set up which is aligned to the West Midlands transmitter at Sutton Coldfield.

I have therefore followed Martin's advice and carried out a manual tune (very easy and explained in detail on the Humax website) and tuned channel 48 to the BBC B multiplex from the low power transmitter in Derby at the exclusion of the BBC B from Sutton Coldfield.

Since excluding the 800 series 'duplicate' channels the situation has been much improved and we are receiving local east midlands tv over 90% of the time.

| Fri 15 Sep 2017 19:39:27 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Andy_K - 1 week ago  » 
    the strange thing is that the strength and quality levels appear to 'pulse'? For a second or so they report Strength - 52%, Quality - 70%, then both go to 0, then Strength rises to 52%, Quality rises to 100% and both go back to 0 etc.
    Could this be why it's intermittently available?

I had this issue for some time after I had to move my aerial to the other side of my house because of building work. I too was thoroughly frustrated by the whole thing and to be honest just put it down to problems caused by my tin roof on that side of the house. A neighbour who was moving out gave me a pretty much brand new aerial and, despite mine being a superior model and only about 6 years old, I climbed on my roof to replace mine to see if it improved things. Once there I discovered that there was a tiny split in the outer sleeve of the coax cable (it had been rubbing on the side of my roof) and further inspection revealed water in the coax. I replaced just the cable and now, even on the frequency that shows 45% strength and as low as 10% quality (cant remember which at the moment) depending on the weather, I get perfect picture.
    Over my years of installing tvs for customers, I have encountered this problem of water ingress many many times as it usually results in rust or corrosion of the coax plug that goes into the tv/box, I have even seen wet plugs and wondered how the thing was working at all!
    The two main reasons for this happening are damage to the cable (as in my case) or the little plastic box on the aerial, that the coax feeds into and contains the connections, can pop open and then, when it rains, water collects there and syphons down the cable. As mine was not showing evidence of this at the tv end I had ruled it out but I imagine that eventually it would have.

| Sat 16 Sep 2017 7:43:01 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Andy_K

Interestingly I had the same problem with my car radio aerial, FM and AM signals were fine but DAB was intermittent. This was caused by water ingress.

| Sat 16 Sep 2017 11:49:00 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Andy_K - 20 hours ago  » 
    An update on this for anyone experiencing a similar problem. Despite the fact that we live only a mile or so from Derby city centre and Derby is covered by East Midlands BBC an aerial installer came round and said that he couldn't improve on our current set up which is aligned to the West Midlands transmitter at Sutton Coldfield.

Glad you have got an improvement. Have you considered the possibility of having two TV aerials, onepointing at Sutton Coldfield and one at Derby? I have no experience of doing it myself but I have heard of other people doing it. A quick google turned up https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/85644/is-it-possible-to-combine-independent-digital-tv-antennas but there is probably better information out there.

| Sat 16 Sep 2017 16:39:22 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Bit late now, but if you had purchased a Humax Freesat box instead of the 4000 you could have had regional programmes from anywhere in the country.

| Sat 16 Sep 2017 23:32:57 #16 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.