My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Programme icon ENC - on a 5000T

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

On every HD recording that I have, there is a programme icon of ENC displayed on the detailed page (just before selecting Play). I only have one SD recording (from More 4) and the ENC icon is absent.

On Page 14 of the user guide (which is about setting up recordings) it suggests that ENC means "encrypted programme" which clearly is not true of any Freeview recording. I cannot find another meaning elsewhere

So what does ENC really mean?

| Fri 15 Dec 2017 18:29:52 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It means what you say. The encryption means you can't view HD recordings remotely using your network. SD programmes can be remotely viewed.

All Freeview+/Freeview Play and Youview PVRS encrypt the unencrypted HD data stream as it is written to disk, the ability to encrypt is turned on by a flag in the data stream. The encryption key is unique to the specific box, so only the box that recorded it can play the content back.

For a few months after BBC 1 HD was launched the BBC did not set the encryption flag so BBC 1 HD recordings were not encrypted.

The older HDR-FOX-T2 is able to view another HDR-FOX-T2's HD and SD recording thanks to a built in DTCP IP DLNA server and client.

http://www.dtcp.com/documents/dtcp/dtcp-overview.pdf

| Fri 15 Dec 2017 18:42:17 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Thanks Graham. I vaguely understand the first paragraph, but the rest, including the PDF, are beyond me.

| Fri 15 Dec 2017 18:49:33 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A1944 - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. I vaguely understand the first paragraph, but the rest, including the PDF, are beyond me.

Basically the fancy server and client found on a HDR-FOX-T2 is able to securely pass the encryption key used on the sending box to the receiving box so it can remotely decrypt the content allowing it to be viewed.

It's part of the Freesat and Freeview licence for official boxes using either epg.

Generic fta DVB-T2 (terrestrial) and DVB-S2 (satellite) recording boxes, simply copy the channel digital data as it is received to a hard disk.

As a result the files aren't encrypted.

| Fri 15 Dec 2017 19:12:54 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.