My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Putting aside my Humax HDR-FOX T2

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Volkswagen

What do you folks think of replacing a perfectly good Fox T2 with its recording limitations and replacing it with a Humax 5000t? I am prepared to spend my money with no problems but I read so many adverse comments about this machine that it is really a bit off putting.
    I know forums always seem to focus on the negatives rather than the positive aspects and indeed was put off buying my current car because of car forums dedicated to that make (VW) but however I bought the latter and it's great!
    The 5000t obviously offers So much more but the apparently clunky UI, slow start up and virtually invisible LED indicator light don't inspire confidence.
    Any comments would be welcome.

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 16:13:23 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I did exactly what you are contemplating (but with the 4000) and whilst I don’t regret it entirely, the slow and clunky interface irritates me daily. There is no getting away from the extra usability of the extra tuner and to date I have not had one conflict or missed recording. I don’t have any problems with the lack of front display and the LED is fine for me.

The HDR-Fox T2 is still is daily use in the bedroom where the third tuner is not needed, but it’s in a different league speed and use-ability wise compared to the 4000/5000

I’m just hoping the 6000 if when it’s released will be a revelation

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 16:43:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mlavende

Totally agree with everything Harters has said. I too replaced my T2 with customised firmware for the 5000T.

The one thing going for the 5000T is the extra tuner. Other than that it's slow and unusable interface do irritate. Of course, once it's playing a recording you don't notice the UI.

I miss multiple skip forward/backward amounts but have learnt to love with +120/-15.

The machine does seem to be reliable and I've finally got away from using padding but I guess that's a broadcast thing rather than a machine thing.

I don't regret my decision to buy it, but I was expecting it to be better than the 4000T however I gather they are the same basically. At least hardware wise. Why they didn't beef up the hardware spec to make things better I'll never know.

Bring on the 6000T+ with it's 6 tuners and massive speed increase

Thanks

-Mat

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 16:50:03 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Volkswagen

Thanks for your detailed replies and it looks like a no no then which is a shame as i enjoy trying other devices though my partner would. I guess be totally lost with it.
    Another query was with the transparency of the UI. Can this transparency be altered so as not to see anything behind the EPG etc?

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 17:01:42 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mlavende - 10 minutes ago  » 

Bring on the 6000T+ with it's 6 tuners and massive speed increase
    Thanks
    -Mat

Hope you have deep pockets

It's all down to affordability and the availability of the large scale chips that run the device. You could build such a device using a HTPC computer and multiple tuner cards. It won't be cheap though and could easily cost over a £1000.00.

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 17:04:32 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

The answer is yes , you can turn the transparency off completely .

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 17:05:25 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Volkswagen

john1 - 59 seconds ago  » 
    The answer is yes , you can turn the transparency off completely .

Thanks then I wonder why some find it an irritation?

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 17:07:17 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mlavende

I would say that if you can live with a slow and clunky GUI then it should be a Yes. The machine does at least seem to be reliable and recording 4 things at once saves me a lot of grief.

It's just so slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

-Mat

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 17:17:48 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

I've got the 2 TB 5000t and I'm really pleased with it.
    The ui is totally different from the one on the Fox T2 which is upsetting some people on here.
    Mine hasn't missed a beat including on a few occasions I've recorded 4 at the same time.
    If you think along the lines of a windows P.C ui, then you should get used to it.
    It can connect to your router via its Wi-Fi .Also, you can access the Freeview Play side by scrolling back on your epg.
    Finally, the LED lights are along the middle front bottom edge of the box. A small piece of white card should make it be more visible.
    Mine is.

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 17:32:44 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

john1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've got the 2 TB 5000t and I'm really pleased with it.
    The ui is totally different from the one on the Fox T2 which is upsetting some people on here

The GUI is not the problem, its the speed... or lack of it.

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 19:00:10 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.