My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR 9300T choppy sound playback

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

learning curve

I bought a second hand PVR9300Ta few months ago and now realise why it was so cheap, its faulty!!
    My questions is, could the fault be the hard drive or is it a deeper problem that means scrapping it and buying new?
    The unit functions perfectly except for during playback of recordings.
    Picture is fine but very intermittently the sound becomes choppy, this happens at the same place in the recording but not the same place in every recording. Such as 5 minutes or so into the recording, some recordings are perfect.
    The choppy sound will continue until the recording suddenly jumps forward a few frames/seconds and then its fine again.
    If I use the "back" button on the remote (underneath the slide back cover) until I get to just before where the problem happens I can then watch most, not all, of what was previously choppy.
    As an example I was watching a recorded programme, got almost to the end, sound became choppy, all of a suddenly the programme had finished and there were the adverts. Reverse to a few seconds after the choppy sound started and I could watch the final minute or so and the credits etc, it played perfectly.
    I dont think it is an aerial signal problem as I have tried it another aerial and it still does it.
    I know this problem may be difficult to diagnose on a forum but any thoughts would be appreciated.

| Sat 22 Jan 2022 11:47:11 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

The description of choppy sound had me flummoxed for a while. The jumping playback is a well known problem with this model. Originally it only seemed to happen on the BBC - particularly when Family Guy was on BBC3 when that channel was last on Freeview. The BBC and Humax were informed but nothing was ever done. It appears as though this problem has got worse.The software for this model hasn’t been updated for ages, and there isn’t an obvious way it can be now. The disk is probably okay. I’m afraid there is no way around this problem. (I did discover that if you can switch to a second sound track - usually the audio description - you can play through the jumping point, you just can’t hear the correct sound)

| Sat 22 Jan 2022 14:38:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

learning curve

Thank you for your reply EEPhil, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
    For those of us who are old enough to remember, it was like the Norman Collier broken microphone routine. Sound cutting in and out but picture perfect.
    I asked about replacing the hard drive as I have a few spare. As that's not the cause time to bin it and get a later model.

| Mon 24 Jan 2022 21:39:04 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Without going back to my 9150T and checking whether it sounds like Norman Collier (yes I’m old enough to remember him), I assume from the rest of your description that it is the jumping problem. As far as I know later models do not have the same problem.

| Tue 25 Jan 2022 13:04:23 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

learning curve

EEPhil - 22 hours ago  » 
    Without going back to my 9150T and checking whether it sounds like Norman Collier (yes I’m old enough to remember him), I assume from the rest of your description that it is the jumping problem. As far as I know later models do not have the same problem.

The sound problem is the main issue and can go on for some period if left, this can sometimes mean the video will also jump forward. For example, you are close to the end of the recording, the sounds starts to play up and then all of a sudden the programme has finished and your watching, with perfect sound, the adverts.
    If you reverse the recording to just after the sound played up the remainder of the recording, including credits etc, plays perfectly.
    I hope that makes sense.

| Wed 26 Jan 2022 12:06:42 #5 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

learning curve - 1 day ago  » 
    The sound problem is the main issue and can go on for some period if left, this can sometimes mean the video will also jump forward. For example, you are close to the end of the recording, the sounds starts to play up and then all of a sudden the programme has finished and your watching, with perfect sound, the adverts.
    If you reverse the recording to just after the sound played up the remainder of the recording, including credits etc, plays perfectly.
    I hope that makes sense.

My partner's 9300 regularly starts jumping a few seconds before the end of playback of a recorded programme as well as random other places in a recording, the problem has been known about for ages. As EEPhil says, this jumping problem was first noticed on Family Guy (and American Dad) on BBC3 years ago but Humax couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Apart from changing soundtrack as EEPhil discovered, you can also play through the affected bit of the recording at anything other than normal speed with no jumping, but unfortunately of course, no sound.

| Fri 28 Jan 2022 3:09:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

learning curve

Biggles - 9 hours ago  » 

learning curve - 1 day ago  » 
    I hope that makes sense.

My partner's 9300 regularly starts jumping a few seconds before the end of playback of a recorded programme as well as random other places in a recording, the problem has been known about for ages. As EEPhil says, this jumping problem was first noticed on Family Guy (and American Dad) on BBC3 years ago but Humax couldn't or wouldn't fix it. Apart from changing soundtrack as EEPhil discovered, you can also play through the affected bit of the recording at anything other than normal speed with no jumping, but unfortunately of course, no sound.

Thanks Biggles, obviously its an inherent fault with no cure then.
    I only paid £20 for it so I could get the old style BBC red button on a smart TV (another long story) and then found it useful for recording.
    I then found the new smart TV had the old style red button anyway (a preference for us as the new style red button was difficult for us oldies to navigate).
    Now in the habit of recording some TV episodes, giving me more freedom to do other things I will look into investing in in another make.
    Thanks to everyone for your help.

| Fri 28 Jan 2022 12:24:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

learning curve - 7 hours ago  » 
    Now in the habit of recording some TV episodes, giving me more freedom to do other things I will look into investing in in another make.

For clarity, the only models exhibiting this problem are the 9300T and the 9150T; so you could just get a different Humax PVR.

| Fri 28 Jan 2022 20:08:12 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.