My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Question about Standby

(18 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

Under Settings/Power Saving I have two decisions to make:

Automatic Power down: ON or OFF
    Standby Mode: Normal or Powersave

What is the difference between these two and how do they work in conjunction with each other? i.e. If I set Automatic Power down to 'OFF' but set Standby mode to 'Powersave' what does that do in comparison to 'OFF' and 'Normal'?

Also, it takes 1 minute 30 seconds for my box to show me the TV whenever I power on from standby. Is this a normal amount of time? It does not feel normal to me. I would prefer to have it go to standby when not in use however this long delay means I feel forced to keep it on all the time and I wonder if that would wear out the hard drive as I can always hear it whirring.

Thanks for any responses

Dave

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 21:20:20 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

1 minute 30 secs to boot up from standby is strange, mine's takes about 30 secs, maybe 40 at most.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 22:13:18 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

35 seconds for mine. How soon do you see the splash screen and do you get a long period of nothing after the splash screen? I'm thinking it may well be a HDMI handshake issue rather than a problem with the Humax. I'm assuming you have got the latest firmware?

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 22:49:08 #3 |
  4. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

1 min 30 secs is a bit long as it should be around 35 seconds. Maybe try a factory reset to see if it improves things. Or as Faust says it could even be a HDMI issue.

Automatic power down means if set to On the box will auto turn off after 3 hours of inactivity.
    Standby mode Power Save shuts down box in a low power mode. Normal you will have the clock displayed on the unit while in standby. Both options have the same boot up time.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 22:50:52 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Automatic power down shuts down the box after 3hrs from the last time you pushed a remote control button.

Low power sby reduces the standby power to about 0.5W, disabling it at the present appears to only shows the clock in standby, using a few extra watts.

Neither should affect the boot up time significantly.

With power saving on and auto power off, and the latest firmware mine boots to the home screen in about 35 seconds.

As already said 90 seconds + is not normal.

I would first try a factory reset, if this doesn't help watch any recordings you have not seen and re-format the HDD.

| Mon 15 Jul 2013 22:58:38 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

OK thanks for the explanations but sorry I'm still confused.

Here's what happens when I press the button on the remote:

- "Starting" appears on the Humax box
    - "Freesat Humax" logo appears on the TV screen
    - after 20 seconds I hear the hard disc wake up and start spinning
    - after 69 seconds of black screen the "Freetime" logo appears
    - The picture comes on the TV at the 80 second mark

I've done some testing for the different power settings:

Auto power down OFF + Powersave Standby
    Auto power down OFF + Normal Standby
    Auto power down ON + Powersave Standby
    Auto power down ON + Normal Standby

After I make the above setting changes I press the power button on the remote. The Humax box goes into different states depending on the settings chosen. A tiny clock icon is sometimes displayed but there does not seem to be any logic as to when. The different states are:

- only displays time
    - only displays tiny clock icon
    - displays both time and tiny clock icon
    - displays nothing at all

In conjunction with one of the above states I also get one of following occur:

1. The hard drive continues whirring
    2. The hard drive shuts down and stops whirring

I cannot determine what states the hard drive shuts down as there does not seem to be any logic to it, sometimes it will and sometimes it won't.

The hard drive shutting down is what seems to be causing the 80 sec start up time. When it continues whirring it only takes 10-15 secs to show me a picture.

Is the hard drive suppose to shut down when it goes into standby?

Thanks again

Dave

EDIT: yes I am running latest firmware, however I've always had this slow start up time. I was hoping it would sort itself out when I updated the other day. I will try the factory reset but I don't think it will make a difference.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 17:58:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Outatime - 30 minutes ago  » Is the hard drive suppose to shut down when it goes into standby?

Yes.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 18:29:47 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outatime

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 

Outatime - 30 minutes ago  » Is the hard drive suppose to shut down when it goes into standby?

Yes.

OK Cheers.

I've also just noticed that since the update when I turn my TV off the Humax box also turns itself off. It never used to do this. Setting Auto Power Down to OFF has no effect. So now I have no choice but to wait 80 seconds whenever I turn the telly on

I think my box is knackered.. unless I can figure this out it's going back. Fortunately I got it from John Lewis so hopefully won't be any problem returning.

EDIT: have tried factory reset but there's no difference.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 20:00:23 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Outatime - 27 minutes ago  » 
    I've also just noticed that since the update when I turn my TV off the Humax box also turns itself off.

From other users reporting this problem it's likely you have a problem with HDMI-CEC between the TV and Humax. Changes to this were made in the last s/w release so your box is behaving as the current s/w is designed. A new box is likely to do the same.
    See here...
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdmi-cec#post-19236

In respect of the start up time try re-formatting the HDD (you will lose all current recordings). If that does not fix it you have a faulty box.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 20:31:41 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

If the TV is switching off the Humax then it's feasible that the Humax isn't being allowed to shut down properly and the file system won't have been unmounted (cleanly disconnected) before shutdown. It's also likely that the Humax would then run some form of disk checking on starting up as it hadn't been shut down properly thus adding to the delay.
    If this is the case then a new box would act in exactly the same way.
    It would make more sense to switch off the CEC on the TV. Sometimes not all HDMI sockets are CEC and if you have 3-4 HDMI inputs then check the TV manual as to which ones are CEC enabled. Alternatively, as suggested elsewhere, some cheap HDMI switches aren't CEC enabled so won't allow the CEC signals through them.
    I'd start by getting your TV/Humax into a state where the TV doesn't switch off the Humax and then check the start up times.

Humax have had years of HDMI handshaking issues. They now seem to have compounded that with CEC problems. If they decide to activate CEC I'd have thought they'd have put a menu option in to disable/ignore CEC; however I'd have also thought there'd be a menu option for a fixed output resolution as found on all other HDMI enabled devices I have. It's another case of Humax leading the way and shooting themselves in the foot.

| Tue 16 Jul 2013 22:55:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.