My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Re-tune for new channels

(20 posts)
  1. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

Doh!

I did "Home, Settings, Channel Settings, Edit Channel List" after re-tuning to remove all the channels I don't watch, but I completely overlooked the fact that I could've chosen 'Select all' to delete them before re-tuning.

I think this would've actually been quicker than the reset as it took some time to scroll through all the info screens, re-input my router code and wait for the network to reconnect.

I'll certainly try that the next time a re-tune is required.

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 15:47:54 #11 |
  2. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

RogerB - 1 hour ago  » 
    As you might tell I am not remotely techie.

I don't have any duplicates and a few in the 800 range and I seem to be on the correct BBC regional news channel.
    So far, so good. R-

I'm not techie myself, but it's my understanding that channels in the 800 range are undesirable as it indicates that you have picked up signals from more than one transmitter. I'm sure that someone else on here will elaborate or put me right.

Are you sure you don't have channels, other than the HD/SD pairs, appearing more than once with different channel numbers?

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 16:01:04 #12 |
  3. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Well, I have just very carefully gone through the guide and I cannot see any duplicates until I get to the 800's where at least two (out of about 10) are repeated. Within the rest of the range though all appear correctly. R-

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 16:16:50 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Haggis54

After 5 months of solid stability i do an auto retune today and my signal strength has dropped to 75% and the quality is jumping all over the shop from 100 to 10 to 0%. Bearing in mind nothing has changed and my ariel hasn't moved and is boosted. Not a happy bunny. I only hope they are still messing with the transmitter as i can imagine this affecting everyone local in Edinburgh on freeview. Too coincidental that it is a retune for the updated channels. It was working fine when i put it on and last night...... sigh

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 16:51:11 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RogerB - 4 hours ago  » 
    Well, I have just very carefully gone through the guide and I cannot see any duplicates until I get to the 800's where at least two (out of about 10) are repeated. Within the rest of the range though all appear correctly. R-

Basically if you are sure that the channels stored in the 800's are not from the transmitter the rest are then you can simply delete them. However the only way to be sure is identify the UHF channel used as the carrier and check it's not used by your desired transmitter. In the end manual tuning is by far the most reliable method. You could for instance happen to do a auto tune during high pressure uplift and get a completely different result.

Auto tuning starts at UHF 21 and usually continues to UHF 68, although there are now no digital TV channels available at the higher frequencies.

Using the DTG reception predictor using the detailed view can greatly help in identifying where duplicates are coming from.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

If the extra channels hapen to be on a lower frequency than your desired mux, they will incorrectly take the lower lcn's with the correct channels appearing in the 800's.

If any transmitter other than your best one has UHF mux lower than your transmitter then it's likely you will pick up the wrong ones.

I retuned my two HDR-FOX-T2's manually in less than 10 mins. After a while it becomes second nature. The procedure is near identical to the post that Barry made. Delete all radio and TV and manually tune the desired mux frequencies. Fortunately the Custom Firmware available for this box allows you to back up the recording schedule and restore it afterwards.

Time Humax did this for their flagship box. Of course it's not 100% reliable but it works but so far it hasn't failed to work. If the broadcasters changed the Station Identifier (SID) it would fail, but why would they ?

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 20:42:16 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    Time Humax did this for their flagship box. Of course it's not 100% reliable but it works but so far it hasn't failed to work. If the broadcasters changed the Station Identifier (SID) it would fail, but why would they ?

Doesn't the FVP-4000T retain the greater part of the recording schedule with the latest firmware (https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-smart-auto-retune)?

| Wed 2 Aug 2017 22:45:42 #16 |
  7. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Yes, it does retain the schedule - if you select SMART just before the scanning starts. R-

| Thu 3 Aug 2017 7:34:11 #17 |
  8. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

Martin Liddle - 11 hours ago  » 

Doesn't the FVP-4000T retain the greater part of the recording schedule with the latest firmware (https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/new-smart-auto-retune)?

Yes, it retained my entire recording schedule when I did Automatic Smart Retune.

Unfortunately this also gave me duplicate channels, so I had to revert to a manual tune. Fortunately I had the foresight to photograph all of my recording schedule with my iPad before doing anything, so it wasn't that difficult to recreate it with the guide.

This may be a lo-tech approach, but as I have no idea what the custom firmware that grahamlthompson referred to is, it's the easiest way I know.

| Thu 3 Aug 2017 10:33:56 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Stephenesque - 16 minutes ago  » 
    This may be a lo-tech approach, but as I have no idea what the custom firmware that grahamlthompson referred to is, it's the easiest way I know.

There is no custom firmware for the FVP-4000T; Graham was talking about the HDR-FOX T2.

| Thu 3 Aug 2017 10:51:22 #19 |
  10. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

Stephenesque - 16 minutes ago  » 

There is no custom firmware for the FVP-4000T; Graham was talking about the HDR-FOX T2.

Thanks for that, I'd misread his post and was wondering what it was.

| Thu 3 Aug 2017 12:24:59 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.