My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Re tv licence

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adam333

Hi all I have recently decided not to pay a tv licence as I only watch youtube or catch up itv on demand from my humax box the only problem is that when I turn my tv on it gives the drop down menu with tv guide highlighted and the top right hand corner of screen a programme being broadcast ? Obviously I don't widen the screen but select on demand? Is there any way I can change start up without the programme showing as this would be perceived as me watching programmes ? Thanks

| Sun 9 Feb 2020 22:45:56 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No - The box is capable of viewing live TV by the built in apps. So no way of deleting them.

However your ISP will know what services you are using. If you don't infringe on this, doubtful you will have any problems, if you only use the IP services you pay for.

However if you think you can watch iplayer content not live and avoid paying the licence fee that I for one and many others pay towards, frankly you should be ashamed.

I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime ( UHD service's).

The BBC is still by far the best value. Especially the content in UHD HDR-HLG content with a compatible TV.

| Sun 9 Feb 2020 22:58:28 #2 |
  3. Trev

Trev

special member

Grayham, OP said he watched itv on demabd, not BBC's iPlayer. Having said that, I 100% agree with your third paragraph.

| Mon 10 Feb 2020 0:30:03 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

It makes no difference to the legal situation whether watching BBC or any other broadcaster's output live.

| Mon 10 Feb 2020 13:49:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

6. Trev

Trev

special member

The point is that that's exactly what the OP wants to do to comply with the law, but it seems that his TV defaults to showing a live picture in the TV guide (or somewhere). Thus it appears that it does not comply with the licence free requirement.

What he actually wants to know, is not the law on licence free TV, but how he can default his TV to something else does not show a live tv preview window at startup, so that he doesn't fall foul of the live TV trap.

Having said all that, it would have been much better had the OP told 'us' to what TV he was referring, as I am fairly curtain that members here have crystal balls that are a bit on the cloudy side at the moment.

| Mon 10 Feb 2020 20:51:32 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Trev - 9 mins ago  » 
    The point is that that's exactly what the OP wants to do to comply with the law, but it seems that his TV defaults to showing a live picture in the TV guide (or somewhere). Thus it appears that it does not comply with the licence free requirement.
    What he actually wants to know, is not the law on licence free TV, but how he can default his TV to something else does not show a live tv preview window at startup, so that he doesn't fall foul of the live TV trap.
    Having said all that, it would have been much better had the OP told 'us' to what TV he was referring, as I am fairly curtain that members here have crystal balls that are a bit on the cloudy side at the moment.

Delete all the TV channels leaving only the radio ones. Or simply pull out the aerial plug.

Use a networked Android box and delete all the apps that can show live TV content.

| Mon 10 Feb 2020 21:01:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adam333

Thanks for all your swift replies. Trev understood what I meant I know Bbc or any live broadcast and even iplayer catch up is forbidden. I called tv licencing and they said even if I have the apps so long as I don't click on bbc iplayer then it's fine even if I have the capability but I read tv licencing and capita who conduct the checks have different outlooks ?
    I agree it's not the price of the licence it's just I honestly don't see why I should pay for a service I never use ?
    I have an LG tv not a new one I'll try to upload a pic of the screen when I turn it on.
    As another poster said its probably best to detune
    It has freesat in top right hand corner followed by list
    Home
    Recordings
    Humax
    On demand
    TV guide
    Showcase
    Settings
    Help and info
    When turned on the tv guide is highlighted with the other quarter of screen showing tv and under part of the guide . I click up to on demand but if I could have it turning on as on demand highlighted it wouldn't show any tv programme ? Maybe nothing can be done ?

| Mon 10 Feb 2020 21:17:03 #8 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

Like GLT said, disconnect the aerial and dish connections (if any) and uninstall iPlayer. Job done as far as not being able to break the law.
    But as to whether you can default to a different switch on option, I don't have a clue.

| Mon 10 Feb 2020 23:54:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Adam333 - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi all I have recently decided not to pay a tv licence as I only watch youtube or catch up itv on demand from my humax box

That's a pretty paltry offering. I would rather pay the licence fee and broaden my horizons. Oh well!

| Tue 11 Feb 2020 12:36:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.