My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Recent problem with HDR 1010S 1TB

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JennyC

Apologies for the very long message, but trying to give as much detail as poss.

Last week our Humax HDR-1010S 1TB started freezing on playing back a recording, with the screen sometimes going black. We tried switching off power, leaving it a while then switching back on. Next problem it wouldn’t let us rewind live play, or record while programme was on, giving a message “The function does not work while retrieving data for time shift buffer. Try again in a few seconds”. But it didn’t work after trying later. After seeing the suggestion somewhere (on this forum?) we removed the internet cable and let it do a power down, leaving it overnight.
    Tried to do a “clean disk”, but it said the disk was not formatted (?). Formatted the disk, losing recordings, but it still wouldn’t record a programme playing, or rewind a live playing programme, or record via the TV Guide.
    Bearing in mind we are not too technically minded, at this point we stopped stumbling about in the dark and contacted Humax Customer Support.
    On their instructions, we reset the system to factory default, things looked better – the recorded programmes were now back in “Recordings” (don’t know how if we had reformatted disk?). We set it to record two programmes, started to watch one recording at about 20 mins into recording time but the playback stalled for about two seconds each time then froze completely for 90 seconds and the message came up “Recording failed because HDD was full”. “My Recordings” shows that 15% of space is used, and the programme was still showing as recording. We tried playing back a programme recorded a few days earlier when things were OK, and got the message “not supported file format”.
    Humax Customer Support then suggested reformatting once more. It seemed to be working OK after this until we programmed a recording via the tv guide at 16:30hrs. 45 mins later it was still recording the same programme despite saying "recording now 3/45 mins". We tried to play it back, but it wouldn't play nor stop recording. We then decided to switch off/on the power to the unit to stop it recording. The reply from Humax Customer Support was that this suggested it was the unit that was causing the fault and it would need to be replaced. They asked us to confirm when/where purchased. The machine is out of guarantee as we bought it in Nov 2013. They are offering a replacement, with a refurbed HDR 1100S, 1 TB HDD with a 6 month warranty for £55. We are in two minds whether to bite the bullet and by a new machine with full warranty or go with their offer. Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

| Fri 20 Oct 2017 14:06:36 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Sounds like you have the known issue of component failure on main board that has affected a few owners.

The replacement Humax are offering is £229 brand new from Humax Direct.

Personally I would take them up on the offer of refurb @ £55 as replacement for a nearly 4 year old unit.

| Fri 20 Oct 2017 14:18:56 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JennyC

Barry, thanks for the swift reply and advice. I think we will do as you suggest and go for the refurb. Thanks again.

| Fri 20 Oct 2017 20:09:10 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Nitram

This is an interesting topic as I am looking for the solution to the same problems that have bugged us for the last two weeks.I'll try what you were advised and see were we get to.
    Like you, ours too is recently out of guarantee.

| Sun 22 Oct 2017 12:56:58 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.