My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Reception from two transmitters

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lbscrlswr

I live mid-way between two transmitters, Rowridge and Whitehawk Hill with Rowridge being the main transmitter to which my aerial is aligned (vertical polarisation). Although Whitehawk Hill is on the wrong side of my aerial I can pick up some of the TV channels from it which can be useful as the news services cover different regions. My problem is that if I do an auto tune, only channels from Rowridge are stored. If I do a manual tune, I can receive channels from Rowridge and some from Whitehawk Hill, but my Humax models 9200T and HDR 2000T will not store both, keeping only those channels from one transmitter, the one searched for first even if this is the weaker of the two. I was expecting any duplicates to appear in the 800s in the OSD, but nothing in the 800s appears. Humax can offer no explanation as to why duplicate programmes are not appearing on my OSD and I would ask if others have had similar problems and if there is a remedy.

| Sat 16 Aug 2014 16:07:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

You may need to approach the 9200T and 2000T differently. They respond differently to both manual and auto tuning and how they treat true ‘local’ duplicates.

But ... although 9200T and 2000T are different in how duplicates are treated, I would not expect either of them to store any for you as I don’t believe that you have variations between your 2 transmitters.
    Which channels from Rowbridge and Whitehawk Hill were you hoping to have duplicates of and why do you believe that they differ?

What the 2000T and 9200T share is that if you do manage to tune unto duplicate channels you are likely to start to have significant gaps in your epg and also if use accurate recording (instead of padding) then you are liable sooner or later to find that some scheduled programmes are not recording.

The 2000T will only allow duplicate channels to be stored where that channel has been marked as having an element of localisation. The common local channels are ITV, ITV + 1, BBC ONE and ITV HD.
    Rowbridge and Whitehawk Hill both broadcast the Meridian version of these channels. I would therefore expect the 2000T only to be able to store from one as I believe they show the same 'local' programmes.

The 9200T will only allow duplicate channels to be stored where the multiplex that channel is broadcast on has an element of localisation. I have no 'problem' getting it to store any sort of duplicates from any multiplex that has a local channel. However, unlike you my 2 transmitters are broadcasting different regions, while yours are both broadcasting Meridian.

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 10:46:48 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

lbscrlswr

Many thanks Luke. You are quite correct in that Rowridge and Whitehawk Hill both broadcast Meridian, but they transmit different local variations of the news, as does BBC and it is helpful to be able to receive both versions. Whitehawk Hill has news covering the south east of the region, Rowridge covers south, heavily biased on the Southampton region. I have another Freeview STB by Sony which does at least pick up the BBC 1 transmissions from both transmitters suggesting that there is a difference to detect so am still at a loss as to why the Humax won't store both. Any other thoughts would be welcome, and, again, my thanks for your help. The only other thing that I thought might be relevant was that the signal strength needed to be over a certain level before the Humax would store both as the thoughts of the manufacturer were that the box should store both with the duplicates coming up in the 800s.

Norman

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 11:40:27 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

The 9200T does store weak signals. I've had the situation where a multiplex is strong enough for it to see that there is a digital signal on tits frequency but not strong enough to be able to store the channel names, with the result all the channels have gone into the 800s with the channel name of 'Unknown'. Needless to say these channels broke up a lot and were therefore unwatchable.

I don't know if the same applies to the 2000T.

On your 9200T what are your signal quality/strength readings for 24, 60, 27 and 53 on the 9200T? These are the multiplexies that carry the non-HD local channels in your area.
    You can get readings for any multiplex by accessing the manual tuning menu, but don't go so far as actually retuning!

Also for 2000T what is the signal quality/strength for 24, 60, 27 and 53, and also the HD 21 and 51.
    MENU >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection
    (If any of the numbers are missing from the Signal Detection then use the manual tuning menu to get a reading, but again don't go as far as actually retuning.)

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 12:36:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

lbscrlswr - 1 hour ago  » 
    ... Rowridge and Whitehawk Hill both broadcast Meridian, but they transmit different local variations of the news, as does BBC and it is helpful to be able to receive both versions.

Thanks. I can now find references that the BBC One non-HD channel does transmit some different local programmes from Rowridge compared to Wighthawk Hill.
    Is it just BBC you are after?
    The multiplex numbers for BBC One non-HD are 24 and 60.

| Sun 17 Aug 2014 13:16:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

lbscrlswr

Thanks Luke. Using the Manual Tune avenue to check signal strengths I get the following for the 9200T (Strength/Quality)
    24 69/100
    60 12/0
    27 69/100
    53 25/10

Having done another manual tune, I now confirm that on the 9200T I CAN find the receivable stations from channel 53 in the 800s of the EPG, although tonight nothing was watchable so, on the face of it, the problem relates only to the 2000T STB, so please accept my apologies for any confusion over the 9200T.

On the 2000T using the same method, I get the following:-
    24 72/100
    60 0/0
    27 70/100
    53 25/100
    21 25/100
    51 0/0

If, on the 2000T I check the signal strengths using SIGNAL DETECTION, it is of interest to note that the Whitehawk Hill channel 53 is shown, therefore confirming that the 2000T DOES store both ITV stations from the two transmitters. So, the question now is why is it that on the 2000T they don't both show in the EPG, a question that the manufacturer could not answer. Perhaps my 2000T has a fault. Would be of interest to know if other 2000T users have had the same problem.

Norman

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 0:33:01 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

lbscrlswr

Luke,

Tonight reception from Whitehawk Hill has been better and my 9200T can receive and store both channels 53 and 60 with no problems at all, together will all the other channels from Rowridge. Using exactly the same hook up arrangements, the 2000T received channel 53, but does not see anything at all on channel 60. However, as stated before, although channel 53 is listed on the 2000T with the other receivable channels in 'Signal Detection' its content still doesn't appear on the EPG. I am convinced that the 9200T is a 'Rolls Royce' by comparison!

| Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:34:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

lbscrlswr - 9 hours ago  » 
    al Detection' its content still doesn't appear on the EPG. I am convinced that the 9200T is a 'Rolls Royce' by comparison!

Unless you are using have padding set for you schedule recordings you may change your mind about the 9200T after it missies a few recordings. The 2000T is not perfect when it is tuned to 2 transmitters, or a multiplex where the signal is occasionally too weak, but when that does happen (for other people!) it copes far better than the 9200T. Obviously not for you, but I suspect that for most people the 2000T limiting the ability to tune into multiple transmitters would be beneficial.

The reason that the 2000T will not let you tune to both of your transmitters is that for some reason it thinks that they are the same and is attempting to give you a less cluttered epg. There are various possibilites why it thinks this transmitters the same. It may be that the broadcasters are not differentiating between one Meridian and another; it could be that the freeview transmission format does not allow differentiation within a region; or it could be that the 2000T is only checking for the region and not the sub-region. There are minor variations of these reasons, but whatever the reason now that you have tried tuning when the reception is strong enough it has become apparent that there is nothing you can do about it.

| Tue 19 Aug 2014 8:20:06 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

lbscrlswr

Many thanks Luke, at least you had a good try. Having got nowhere using email contact with Humax on this query I have now tried the good old fashioned letter writing approach, making the point that as they designed and built the 2000T they should know why it won't store stations from other transmitters instead of just stating it ought to. At least I still have the 9200T to fall back on, and that one can even receive French stations from time to time! Unfortunately when you purchase a STB the ability to store from other transmitters is not a feature that gets mentioned on the sales blurb. You only find that out later, after you have bought it, when its too late. My thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions.

Norman

| Tue 19 Aug 2014 13:56:09 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.