My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Record programme, can't watch another

(23 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ron C - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi both,
    A huge thank you for helping me with my difficulties; but you grant me too much technical understanding, 12 volt DC is my limit. I will mull over the changes you recommend but after I have made the best of what is available now within our flat.
    As repassac has spotted there is a common dish, no-one else (19 flats) are reporting any concerns. I am interested in the digital LNB, but that will be part of the common installation, my stacker is in an outside cupboard marked 4D (photo) so I won’t go there either at this stage, for the same reason, tweaking the dish is a no no and a separate dish conflicts with the building rules. So at this point I can only deal from where the co-ax comes out of the wall beside the box within our flat (photo).
    I understand why you want me to improve my signal, but my immediate issues are purely day to day understanding of the box and its capabilities.
    Let me return to some of my previous questions maybe expanded a bit, a yes or no is fine at this stage:
    1. Does something essential happen in the white UHF/VHF box or can I take it out of circuit?
    2. Is some greying out of channels in List while recording correct? Or is it a result of a less than 100% strength, quality is always (usually? 100%).
    3. Do the two LNB inputs deal with different specific channels? I think you answered this but I don’t understand the answer… how can I “order set recordings?
    4. Is it possible to assign channels to a specific tuner (LNB input)? Same question as 3 I guess.
    5. Is there some way of identifying a greyed out channel while in the Guide?
    6. Am I wasting your time & mine if I don’t deal with the “common facilities?
    Numbers 2 & 6 are the most important at this time.
    It may be that I am getting the best possible set up recognising the need to stay away from common facilities... but help me make sure.
    Best regards, Ron C

Removing the stacker/unstacker arrangement will not affect anyone else. It will reduce your feed to a single cable. As the arrangement clearly does not work you haven't lost anything. Once you have a single cable it will be much easier to check what is wrong.

In the meantime swap the two infeeds and try a reset to factory defaults.

If you have the unstacked input on tuner 1 in you have much better chance of actually setting up the box to a postcode.

| Tue 26 Nov 2019 21:36:33 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ron C

Hi folks,

Humour me please, should some channels be greyed out in List whilst recording?

Sorry to persist. Ron C

| Wed 27 Nov 2019 15:23:35 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ron C - 19 mins ago  » 
    Hi folks,
    Humour me please, should some channels be greyed out in List whilst recording?
    Sorry to persist. Ron C

It's the way a lnb works.

A satellite tuner as well as providing power to the lnb has to control it.

The band is split into two frequency bands high and low. In order to allow a smaller gap in frequency (fit in more transponders) adjacent ones are polarised horizontal and vertical.

"A modern "Universal" LNB requires a 22 kHz signal at 0.5v p-p to switch its Local Oscillator to 10.6 GHz ("high band"). Otherwise it uses its 9.75 GHz oscillator.

Polarisation switching is controlled by DC voltage supplied by the receiver. 12.5v to 14.5v gives vertical and 15.5 to 18v gives horizontal polarisation. A higher voltage than that can damage the LNB (although I have run it up to 24 volts, briefly, without damage). A voltage that is too low will prevent the LNB from working correctly."

Yours is working the same as a Humax box working in single cable mode. Either tuner 1 or tuner 2 in is connected to the higher frequency stacked connection.

Only 1 tuner can control the lnb connection it has. There is 4 possible combinations.

Low band horizontal, low band vertical, high band horizontal, high band vertical.

When a Foxsat-HDR is setup in single cable mode with the tuner 1 out tuner 2 in.

Tuner 1 controls the lnb. Tuner 2 in has no lnb control but it can use any channels carried on transponders that are in the same band and polarisation as tuner 1 has switched the transponder to.

Because there are very few high band channels on Freesat that means for most recording situations then a little less than 50% of the total number of channels can be watched. This explained in the link I gave you with a link to tell you enough to determine what channels are available to the second tuner when tuner 1 is recording or about to start recording. The greyed out channels are the ones locked out by virtue of band and polarisation.

If press the channel up down button the channels available to tuner 2 in will cycle through all the possible ones.

The only way to try and sort this out is do as I suggested. Ditch the stacker-destacker arrangement and get the box setup with a single cable direct to a lnb or a communal multiswitch out connection.

Otherwise it's just guesswork.

https://www.satshop.co.uk/sky-stackers-destackers

| Wed 27 Nov 2019 16:03:42 #23 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.