My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Recording BBC red button

(14 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Which bit, is it that you don't know how start ?. It's hard to explain simply because there is no way of knowing how much you know. In this case have you a basic knowledge of using a PC ?.

1 Can you connect a usb device to a PC, can you format it. Having done this can you copy a file to it. Can you then rename the file?

Next question is clearly yes

Can you log into a website using a web browswer, If you can't you won't be here.

The custom firmware creates in effect a website that only exists on your Foxsat-hdr (clever ain't it).

When the foxsat is on you log onto it exactly the same as you did to get here.

Once logged in you get all the extras as already discussed, and loads of others.

Forums like this exist to help, trouble is with the best will in the world any poster tends to assume that a level of experience that the poster may not have.

I suspect you need help to know where to start. Can you answer yes to all in 1 ?

| Tue 26 Jun 2012 22:32:18 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Goose

Following this thread with interest as I am using the custom firmware and web interface.

A supplementary question that occurs to me is 'how do you know which of the red button streams to record without an EPG?'.

I am using custom firmware 4.0.7 and am reasonably familiar with the facilities of the web interface. I can see the six streams at 1987-1991

| Wed 27 Jun 2012 8:40:07 #12 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

A supplementary question that occurs to me is 'how do you know which of the red button streams to record without an EPG?'

The annoyingly simple answer is that you don't know for sure.

The following link gives details of what is due to be shown on the Red Button:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm

But it is not always kept up to date or is only updated very late.

Other than that you have to make an intelligent guess as to what streams will be used for what unless you can check the coming up next tickertape shortly before something is due to start.

As a rule of thumb I expect whatever is due to be on Freeview 301 will be on Stream 1 so use my Freeview PVR to record that then use my Freesat PVR to record Streams 2 and 3. Stream 4 appears to be mainly children's stuff. But this is not infallible.

The bad news is that you won't need to worry about this after the Olympics as they are cutting back to one Red Button stream on Freesat. The good news is that this will be accompanied by more comprehensive coverage moving online. I will only be happy with that if the F1 practise sessions and the MotoGP quali sessions are made available on iPlayer.

| Wed 27 Jun 2012 9:30:16 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

sanqhar

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 
    Which bit, is it that you don't know how start ?. It's hard to explain simply because there is no way of knowing how much you know. In this case have you a basic knowledge of using a PC ?.
    1 Can you connect a usb device to a PC, can you format it. Having done this can you copy a file to it. Can you then rename the file?
    Next question is clearly yes
    Can you log into a website using a web browswer, If you can't you won't be here.
    The custom firmware creates in effect a website that only exists on your Foxsat-hdr (clever ain't it).
    When the foxsat is on you log onto it exactly the same as you did to get here.
    Once logged in you get all the extras as already discussed, and loads of others.
    Forums like this exist to help, trouble is with the best will in the world any poster tends to assume that a level of experience that the poster may not have.
    I suspect you need help to know where to start. Can you answer yes to all in 1 ?

Where do I begin??

I have used PCs for years (in fact I first got involved with computers before the days of VDUs ...yes I'm that old!).

I currently run an Imac.

From what you are saying I need to connect my humax to my router.

I didn't know I could do this, will have to dig out the instruction book and have a play. I have two options for this, WiFi or via my Powerline network.

Leave this with me and I'll come back with any problems.

Having only just got got freesat I suppose I'm a bit wary of playing around with the firmware in case I screw it up. With the unit still under guarantee I don't want, at this stage, to complicate things.

Thanks again

tom

| Thu 28 Jun 2012 21:01:45 #14 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.