My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Recording failed: Unable to track program

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

I've just returned from holiday, & I've had at least seven or eight of the above error messages, over the last 10 days recordings. What causes this? It's not a conflict with other recordings, as I didn't overlap programs.

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 16:34:29 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

A possible cause of this is that the HDR-2000T is tuned to more than 1 transmitter and the HDR-2000T is either recording from another transmitter or is switched on and tuned to another transmitter.

For how to make sure is tuned to 1 transmitter see some instructions that also apply to the HDR-FOX T2:
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336

Was it in standby when you left it? If you did which channel did you have it switched on to and which channels where the failed recordings from?

Do you have auto switch on/off set? If you do which channel do you have it auto switch on to and which channels where the failed recordings from?

Hopefully the issue with the HDR-2000T not being ideally tuned in using auto-tune will be fixed in the next software release later this year.

Also, have another read of:
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/recording-failed-unable-to-track-program

To check whether or not you are tuned to more than 1 transmitter using the following remote button presses to obtain the UHF channel numbers and then check on-line that they are all transmitted from your transmitter and that you have no rogue UHF channel numbers listed
    MENU > Settings >System > Signal Detection > Press right next to the OK button.
    Which UHF numbers are listed when you do that?

Are all these new ones that you are focusing on all 'failed to track' errors? On your previous similar thread there were also 'recording failed' failures implicated.

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 16:51:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I've just had another thought. You don't by any chance have some sort of aerial booster that gets turned off when you are away so that only the strongest received channels are OK?

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 17:23:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

inspector - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've just returned from holiday, & I've had at least seven or eight of the above error messages, over the last 10 days recordings. What causes this? It's not a conflict with other recordings, as I didn't overlap programs.

What channel are these on? There were a number of late schedule changes due to the Commonwealth Games that affected BBC channels.

| Wed 6 Aug 2014 17:51:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Hi Luke. Thanks for your prompt reply. I manually tuned all the programs from the Bilsdale transmitter, as previously advised for my 9300T.
    Not sure which channels failed, but Quest & ITV4 were among them.
    The PVR is always left in the off (standby) position, when not in use.
    I don't use the auto switch on / off.
    The UHF numbers in Signal Detection are: 23 26 29 40 43 46
    All the failures were "failed to track".
    I often get a warning about failed recordings, & do you want to proceed (or something like that) but these are always watchable. I think it must be when a program overruns, & the next one starts late.

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 14:52:13 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

It is not at all obvious why you are getting so many failures when you are on holiday! But here are my thoughts (ramblings?) anyway ...

How the tracking process on the HDR-200T works is by using the information in the now and next epg. It behaves as though it is watching for when the current programme (according to the now and next epg) stops indicating one programme and starts indicating the programme that matches your timer.

Please bear with me here! What usually happens with ‘failure to track’ is that the HDR is looking at the epg now&next being broadcast from a transmitter on one of its multiplexes (mux) but the programme is actually identified with the frequencies from a different mux and so no match is found and it cannot ‘track’.

But there are other ways that ‘failure to track’ can occur. As Martin indicated if the programme is delayed by so much that the HDR gives up looking is one way! But Quest and ITV4 rarely change their schedules without warning and so that is not the issue with at least some of your failures.

A ‘failure to track’ cause that I have had is when the mux the HDR has selected to use to monitor the epg change suffers from reception problems.

You mentioned ITV4 and Quest. Both of these come from weaker muxes (Bilsdale’s 40 and 43). Question:- Do you have any breakups from the less main stream channels when you are watching them live?
    To record an isolated programme the HDR-2000T in standby will use the epg from the same mux as the programme will be broadcast on.
    However, if you were in and watching BBC1 (say) it would look at the BBC1 mux. As the Bilsdale’s BBC1 mux is broadcast stronger than either the ITV4 or the Quest mux it would have no problem noticing the start.

On both the HDR-2000T’s that I have used on the same aerial as an 9300T they did not manage to pick up the weaker channels in my area as well as the 9300T and I have got an occasional failure to track as a result.
    But that would not account for why you have so many failures whenever you are on holiday when you are just tuned to 1 transmitter.

Are you sure that when you lock up to go on holiday that you are not turning something off that would weaken (or not boost) the aerial signal into your HDR?
    Question:- Do you record more programmes when you are on holiday and would normally watch them live when at home?

Have a look at this link http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/industry/Channels/channel_listings
    Similarly to many other transmitters Brisdale broadcasts stronger on muxs PSB1, PSB2 and PSB3.
    Question:- Are the vast majority of the failures from the other muxes?

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 19:33:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Hi Luke.
    Don't have any breakups at all. (that's if you're on about pixellation, or sound / video out of sync.)
    I was getting a weak signal when I first got the 2000T, weaker than the 9300T, but I don't have any bother now.
    Going on holiday, I just leave everything just as I do when I go to bed. It's not like they take a lot of power in standby.
    I have been getting a few "failure to track" over the preceding months, but never so many in a 12 day period. Maybe I left it on a weak channel when I last switched off?
    I do record more programs when I'm away. Don't want to miss an episode! I only noticed the channels on the last two failures when I was deleting anything that I'd already watched whilst away.

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 8:59:04 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

inspector

special member

Just noticed Luke, I've got recordings programmed tonight, at 20.00 to 20.58, 20.20 to 21.00 & 20.30 to 21.00 hours.
    Three programs! Usually, the Humax won't allow this, & offers an alternative. Maybe this is where the "failed to track" comes from?

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 12:10:56 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

inspector - 3 hours ago  » 
    Hi Luke.
    Maybe I left it on a weak channel when I last switched off?

That would account for a 9300T behaving as you describe but not the HDR-2000T. The 9300T looks at the mux for the channel that was last used, but the HDR-2000T looks at the mux that the channel is going to be recorded from providing it is not doing anything else at the time.

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 12:39:47 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

inspector - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Just noticed Luke, I've got recordings programmed tonight, at 20.00 to 20.58, 20.20 to 21.00 & 20.30 to 21.00 hours.
    Three programs! Usually, the Humax won't allow this, & offers an alternative.

The check for clashes occurs when you originally setup the timers and so can only cover the next 7 days. After that, if one of the series moves out of its original slot(s) then clashed timers will occur.
    Edit: I'll post later about this and I need to get back to work. But something does not appear right about this.

inspector - 30 minutes ago  » 
    Maybe this is where the "failed to track" comes from?

I'm not 100% certain of the error message, but I think it will be 'recording failed' for the 3rd of these clashed timers.

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 12:55:08 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.