My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Recording 'skipping'

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Peter,

I think you've been unlucky, although customer service can be hit and miss.
    I'm having niggling problems with some of the stuff I've bought recently from other manufacturers, it's not just Humax, and it's a real pain and waste of time sorting things out.
    I assume the newly faulty 9300T is on its way back for replacement. The hdr-fox-t2 is an excellent machine, if you get a refund on the 9300T, brought alive by the fantastic custom firmware.
    If you get chance (AntG as well) take a look at the hdr-fox-t2, it's an outstanding machine (has some faults, but head and shoulders above the competition). As Martin says, there is a new HD model promised; however if it's locked down then it'll be another nail in the Humax coffin and they seem to be doing quite a good job of boxing themselves in with the current YV and G2 offerings.

| Wed 21 Aug 2013 1:26:40 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

braeburnsoft

"The Mill" on channel 4, last episode. Missed about 5 minutes of important action despite trying to rewind watch parts again.

| Wed 28 Aug 2013 12:15:59 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Benzol

Re: Humax PVR 9300T
    Very interesting what you guys are saying… clearly I've the same problem, assuming it was a Read error during playback. My thinking was, as the skipping and sound synchronisation went away instantly following a short rewind there must be an issue keeping on “track” with my ageing hard drive. I've tried formatting – no use, and reducing the number of recordings to one or two – still no use however it did seem worse on certain programs but I had put this down to my imagination!
    Recently I've inherited the exact same model from my farther who’d barley used his device. However his had a different problem whereby the picture, after a while of operation, would become broken by a mesh of vertical purple lines, I’m assuming this to be a motherboard component partly failing.
    Ah Ah I thought, cracked it! – Swap the drives over – As you've probably guessed, by me writing here, the problem still persists with a virtually brand new drive! Hence the trawl to see if a solution exists.
    Unfortunately I'm forced to conclude one of three possible causes is the culprit.
    1. There’s a motherboard fault, say a buffering issue.
    2. There’s a software bug.
    3. There’s something in the program ID which skewing things for a moment during playback.
    One thing is for sure; the fault only showed itself a few months ago and as my machines given me over 3 years of flawless operation I'm deeply suspicious of outside influences especially as others are experiencing the same problems.
    Let me know how you get on but don’t waste your money on new hard drives…..
    Hardware Version REV 1.0
    Software Version UPTTF 1.00.26
    Loader Version a4.39 (a4.35 on the older device)
    Update Date Jul 7 2011

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 19:40:37 #13 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

This skipping problem was first seen on Family Guy I believe and is a problem on my partners 9300 recording Family Guy but she doesn't have the problem on any other programme she records. I don't believe it has anything to do with the age or how full the hard disk is. From my observations something in the programme triggers the skipping problem and then the programme skips and jumps for a while, if it does recover the sound and vision are usually way out of sync. You can wind back to just after the trigger point and play back normally until another trigger occurs. If I remember correctly the programme will playback correctly at any speed other than normal speed. Someone discovered that if you switch off the audio track the programme played correctly at normal speed, it's interesting that at other speeds the audio is also switched off.

| Mon 15 Dec 2014 22:40:22 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

targaid

Years down the line and Humax have still not done a thing about this problem. I wpont be buying from them again

| Tue 15 Mar 2016 23:50:52 #15 |
  6. Biggles

Biggles

special member

It will be interesting to see how recordings of Family Guy from ITV2 play back. I asked my partner to record some episodes for me but she forgot, twice.

| Wed 16 Mar 2016 2:08:00 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

targaid

I've been recording Family Guy (definitely the 1st programme to suffer the issue and only after they upgraded to cgi) fine from ITV.The problem has spread to other shows. It's always something very popular - I've never seen it with a documentary for example - and is usually in the last seconds of a show. Channel 4's group seems to be the worst. Gotham always skips at the end, we had to abandon The Good Wife. Humax originally said that they were aware of the problem and working on a fix, then just went quiet on it.

| Sun 20 Mar 2016 2:42:06 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

targaid

Yup, definitely nothing to to do with hard drives. This was known as the Family Guy problem for a while. The cgi Family Guy was the first to show the issue and when it moved to ITV it stopped. It mainly manifests now on popular shows on the Channel 4 channels.
    This makes me think that it has something to do with the transmission. I wonder if there's some kind of drm issue. I've noticed that if the show isn't on the catch-up services it suffers from the problem.
    Totally disgusted by Humax's response,too. They may not have caused the problem but they should have fixed it.

| Mon 24 Apr 2017 23:02:37 #18 |
  9. Biggles

Biggles

special member

targaid - 1 year ago  » 
    I've been recording Family Guy (definitely the 1st programme to suffer the issue and only after they upgraded to cgi) fine from ITV.The problem has spread to other shows. It's always something very popular - I've never seen it with a documentary for example - and is usually in the last seconds of a show. Channel 4's group seems to be the worst. Gotham always skips at the end, we had to abandon The Good Wife. Humax originally said that they were aware of the problem and working on a fix, then just went quiet on it.

I've noticed the skipping quite a few times now on my partners 9300 during the last few seconds of Coronation Street and there may be other programmes she's not mentioned to me. Humax have a habit of 'moving on' and leaving problems with their older models but when this problem was first reported the 9150/9300 were not old models. I personally took the hint and 'moved on' to Panasonic.

| Mon 24 Apr 2017 23:42:08 #19 |
  10. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Biggles - 1 year ago  » 
    It will be interesting to see how recordings of Family Guy from ITV2 play back. I asked my partner to record some episodes for me but she forgot, twice.

Over the weekend I recorded three Family Guy episodes, one old and two new, from ITV2 on my partner's 9300. All played back perfectly without a hint of the skipping problem seen when Family Guy was on the BBC.

| Mon 22 May 2017 13:04:14 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.