My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

recording to external device

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

harrisjj87

quick question guys
    does anyone know if it is possible to record any of the on demand programming to external devices such as a dvd recorder using the composite out on the fvp 4000 or fvp 5000 freeview play boxes
    cheers

| Wed 6 May 2020 17:39:36 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I've just tried live (BBC1 HD) and an uploaded mp4 file and both played out through the composite out and were recordable on an external device. I can't try on demand, but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

| Wed 6 May 2020 19:33:34 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

EEPhil - 34 mins ago  » 
    I've just tried live (BBC1 HD) and an uploaded mp4 file and both played out through the composite out and were recordable on an external device. I can't try on demand, but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

The only reason it might not work is if for some reason the broadcaster uses macrovision copy protection.

As the quality of copies made this way is dire I imagine it will work.

As there are ways to actually create copies in Full-HD quality.

Still if you are happy that's fine. Provided you aren't watching on a large screen TV then carry on.

| Wed 6 May 2020 20:12:06 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

harrisjj87

the only reason i ask is i have a humax 1100s freesat which has all the on demand channels...but lost all4 some time ago....i have all4 on youview and i think youview blocks recording of any youview on demand channels automatically...so just asking peoples help before i purchase the humax 4 or 5000..
    so noce in a while there are good all4 programming i do like to record but as i said youview blocks and channel 4 decided to take on demand off freesat service

| Wed 6 May 2020 21:29:13 #4 |
  5. jpv1960

jpv1960

I have just tried it to play a "On Demand" or Catchup on FVP-5000 and No, Record does not work. It only works if the program is live or scheduled to record.

FVP-5000 does not have scart or Composite or Component output, only one hdmi.

So if you wish to record an On-Demand programme, you may need to look at a different solution. It is unlikely the hdmi in SD format is encrypted. In HD format, it will most likely to use hdcp protection.

The YouView humax box does not even allow one to copy live programs onto usb.

A secondhand Freeview or Youview box with Scart / Composite connection may be a good compromise.

| Sat 9 May 2020 9:07:11 #5 |
  6. brian

brian

special member

jpv1960 - 35 mins ago  » 
    FVP-5000 does not have scart or Composite or Component output, only one hdmi.

The FVP-5000T, and FVP-4000T certainly do have composite outputs.

| Sat 9 May 2020 9:44:45 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Quite! How could I have done the test in post #2 without the RCA connections.

| Sat 9 May 2020 15:06:22 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.