My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

recordings end early - not completed

(7 posts)
  1. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Recently I was away so set up a series of schedule recordings using epg. Some were on CBS Horror some on radio (BBC Radio4) some on BBC channels.
    Some of these recordings chopped the end of programs off ie they stopped recording before the end of the programmes.
    Is this because the epg database is inaccurate in some way?
    Is there an alternative way to record where I can input the end time of a programme so that there is no truncation of the recording?

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 2:04:13 #1 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Accurate Recording is totally reliant on the broadcasters getting things correct their end, some channels don't support the function at all so you just have to live in hope their program's are broadcast within the allocated time slot as per the EPG.
    You can add padding to the start and end times in the settings menu, though it will disable Accurate Recording on those channels that use it.
    Or you can set up a manual recording for certain program's(press right while in the planned recordings menu) where you can set it to record at times of your choice.

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 9:27:27 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is possible to set up a manual recording as you specify but I doubt this will yield the results you want. Some channels use what is called accurate record where the start and end of a programme is clearly defined (BBC for example, who seldom get it wrong). Other channels add the signal based upon the schooled times. The problem you describe mainly results from the programme not ending at the scheduled time.

It is possible to disable accurate record and add padding to the start and/or end of a programme. This can also cause problems where you are recording multiple programmes in sequence and result in schedule clashes.

Edit: Gonzo types faster!

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 9:32:11 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I used manual padding at the start/end of pgms for a while but it caused a specific problem. If you (say) set 2 channels to record from 8-9pm and a 3rd 9-10pm then the padding can result in an attempt to record 3 different channels at the same time as the 9pm boundary is reached. I reverted to auto, accepting its problems.

| Wed 30 Apr 2014 10:20:12 #4 |
  5. grumpybrush

grumpybrush

Donator ££££

Thanks for all the replies. Seems that in this situation it's all a matter of luck. BTW the BBC is quite bad when it comes to adhering to broadcast times on it's radio schedule. The news bulletins are about the only thing that's on time & very often the end of the programme you're recording goes past it's published end time when preceded by a news bulletin.
    Maybe I'll try a few manual recordings to see how I get on. Funny in VCR/Analogue days *you* had a bit more control over things by juggling times of recordings - only trouble is the quality was pretty awful compared with Humax which in my case are indistinguishable from the broadcast.

| Fri 2 May 2014 10:36:17 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

BTW the BBC is quite bad when it comes to adhering to broadcast times on it's radio schedule. The news bulletins are about the only thing that's on time & very often the end of the programme you're recording goes past it's published end time when preceded by a news bulletin.
    Some programmes (In Our Time, for instance) are repeated a few hours later in an edited version. I've taken to recording these edited versions, where available.

| Fri 2 May 2014 10:44:21 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grumpybrush - 53 minutes ago  » 
    . Funny in VCR/Analogue days *you* had a bit more control over things by juggling times of recordings - only trouble is the quality was pretty awful compared with Humax which in my case are indistinguishable from the broadcast.

They will be indistinguishable from the broadcast, because they are an exact digital copy. The pvr copies the original broadcast data stream directly to the hard disk. Replaying the recording presents the same data to your TV as the original programme did. No matter how many times you copy the data, copy the copy ad infinitum unlike analogue there should be no loss quality providing the copy process does not recode the content.

| Fri 2 May 2014 11:34:07 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.