My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HB 1000S, 1100S

Recordings not available on sideways HDD

(15 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Totnes - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham,
    No, it stopped working for no apparent reason - we watched a recorded programme one night and when we tried to watch another the following day the error message came up. It was only then that I decided to see if the HDD was at fault and only then did I connect it to my PC. So what could have caused the mal-function?
    Keith.

Impossible to say now. It would have needed to drive to be connected to a PC booted into linux and then running a Linux File system check and repair utility. This is why I suggested you start again by deleting all the partitions and seeing if windows would format the whole disk using NTFS. It may have some failed sectors on it.

Other than that try formatting the disk again using the HB-1000S.

How old is the drive ? what's the make model and size of it ?

| Thu 23 May 2019 14:03:42 #11 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

If you copy the recordings to your PC and then reformat the HDD in the box, if you connect it to a Windows PC, it will bork it again for use in the box. You might have some joy using Linux though.

| Fri 24 May 2019 17:28:36 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Totnes

The hard drive is fairly new (3 years?)verbatim model N446 or RP0141290177.
    The Humax HB1000s instructions simply say (p.21) "to record you need a USB Hard drive, please refer to http://www.humaxdigital/uk/hb-1000s, but I couldn't enter any details on this site to explain how to re-format the HDD. I've tried formatting the HD on my computer - it formatted it in a matter of seconds! but it is still not recognised by the humax box. When I go to 'help & Info' on the box and select "recordings", to see how to format the HD using the box, I get an error message "Network is not available, please check your box is connected to the internet - so presumably the Help & info is not built into the box but is available from the Humax website - the site that I have tried in vain to connect to. [I think when I bought the HD I smply plugged it into the Humax box and it worked straight away??].
    So still more advice and help needed please!

| Fri 24 May 2019 18:53:53 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Totnes - 34 minutes ago  » 
    The hard drive is fairly new (3 years?)verbatim model N446 or RP0141290177.
    The Humax HB1000s instructions simply say (p.21) "to record you need a USB Hard drive, please refer to http://www.humaxdigital/uk/hb-1000s, but I couldn't enter any details on this site to explain how to re-format the HDD. I've tried formatting the HD on my computer - it formatted it in a matter of seconds! but it is still not recognised by the humax box. When I go to 'help & Info' on the box and select "recordings", to see how to format the HD using the box, I get an error message "Network is not available, please check your box is connected to the internet - so presumably the Help & info is not built into the box but is available from the Humax website - the site that I have tried in vain to connect to. [I think when I bought the HD I smply plugged it into the Humax box and it worked straight away??].
    So still more advice and help needed please!

You need to first delete all the partittions created by the HB-1000s after this format the entire drive. Partionitioning a disk creates multiple independent drives that appear to be seperate though they appear to be separate they look to be on different disks In windows they appear to be totally seperate disks eg D:, E: F: etc.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/delete-volume-drive-partition-windows-10

| Fri 24 May 2019 19:38:02 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Totnes

I have tried reformatting the disc as suggested, but still get the error message "... you need to connect a USB hard drive ..." when I try to record. It makes me think that the error is in the Humax box. After all, I did nothing to the HDD having watched a recording one night but found that the HDD was not recognised the following day. Do I have to buy a new Humax box, and will my newly formatted HDD work with it?

| Sun 26 May 2019 22:44:03 #15 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.