My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Replacement Hard Drive for 9300t

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrington

My hard drive has gone from my 9300t, i opened it up and took it out then put it back in and it worked momentarily.
    It looks like i need a new Hard drive, Does anyone know where i would go about getting one from?

Its out of its warranty and i don't really want to have to buy a new one.

Has anyone replaced one of these before?

Thanks

| Tue 22 Jan 2013 18:24:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

barrington - 1 hour ago  » 
    My hard drive has gone from my 9300t, i opened it up and took it out then put it back in and it worked momentarily.
    It looks like i need a new Hard drive, Does anyone know where i would go about getting one from?

Lots of people have changed the drives. You want a drive that is designed for PVR usage such as http://www.saverstore.com/product/20029459/Seagate-Pipeline-HD-500GB-8MB-Cache-35-SATA-30Gbs-CE-Hard-Drive NB I haven't actually used one of these so wait and see what other suggestions people who have recently done the job have to make. You know how to remove the existing drive and so it is simply a matter of replacing the old drive with new. When powered on the box will detect the new drive and offer to format it. Be very careful not to have power applied to the Humax whilst the lid is off; it is very easy to touch the power supply and destroy it.

| Tue 22 Jan 2013 19:33:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrington

Its good that others have done it with no problems. I'm pretty clueless about hard drives really.
    I will definetly have to wait to see what others suggest and buy one of those.
    Hopefully others on here who have done it will see this.

When you say destroying the the power supply if touching with the top off, do you mean the power supply to the machine getting damaged or power supply to the hard drive?

I only ask because i was careless whilst fiddling with it and touched the hard drive when the top was off and the power turned on. Got a shock! I had been really careful up to then. I won't being doing that again.

The Humax still turns on etc, but i am a little concerned now that if i do get a new hd, the power supply may be fried?

| Tue 22 Jan 2013 20:46:33 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

barrington - 1 hour ago  » 
    When you say destroying the the power supply if touching with the top off, do you mean the power supply to the machine getting damaged or power supply to the hard drive?

I mean the power supply module within the Humax.

I only ask because i was careless whilst fiddling with it and touched the hard drive when the top was off and the power turned on. Got a shock!

I am surprised you got shock from the hard drive; I would have expected the maximum voltage to be 12V.

The Humax still turns on etc, but i am a little concerned now that if i do get a new hd, the power supply may be fried?

If it turns on then the power supply is probably OK.

| Tue 22 Jan 2013 21:50:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrington

If it turns on then the power supply is probably OK.

Ah ok, good. Gonna have a little search online to see if i can find any tried and tested (in Humax's) hard drives. Cheaper the better lol.

| Tue 22 Jan 2013 22:32:46 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

voxmagna

I am messing with the hard drives in both my FreeView and Freesat boxes at the moment to try and clone my SD recordings on both boxes to end up with 1000 Gb drives fitted to both. I will soon be having a brand new never used 500Gb manufacturer fitted drive I pulled out of my new box up for grabs.

So far I have learned a lot about formatting Linux hard drives, large file transfers and recovery on an XP PC!

The switchmode power supplies in both units are open frame, well worse than that because most open frame units have a protection cover over them and these do not. That means they are VERY dangerous for anybody unskilled poking around inside with the covers off and a mains supply connected - even in standby. Mains contacts on the input switch are sleeved, but there are other high voltage points to make accidental contact.

If the OP touched a hard drive and got a shock, then either he was touching something else as well or something is WRONG. By wrong, could mean there is a problem with the power supply making it unsafe and the OP does not know. The only way to tell is to check the insulation from the case metalwork to the mains input connector.

There are plenty of links out there on buying the right spec. hard drive, and fitting it. The big CAUTION is always work with the mains plug removed and only put it back when the cover is on.

Most power supplies like this can still store voltages up to about 380 volts for some time after removing the mains plug, so keep fingers well away or put some temporary parcel tape over the unit first. If you don't know what a mains power supply looks like then you should not be poking around inside. It is the unit on the left that has the mains plug and on/off switch connected to it!!

I would not let my family near my Humax if I got a shock for reasons I did not understand and thought it was unsafe.

it is very easy to touch the power supply and destroy it.
    AND yourself.

| Wed 23 Jan 2013 12:03:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

barrington

I bought a 500gb hard drive from ebay for £35 and fitted it. Really easy and it saved me buying a brand new PVR.
    The faulty one was 320gb, so it was a bit of an upgrade.

| Tue 12 Feb 2013 16:59:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ges9167

Just had to replace the hard drive on my PVR 9300.
    Recordings were being interrupted by error of 'bad signal'. Then the recording icon disappeared from the menu to be replaced by games!

I purchased a 500gb WD Green drive for £35 from Amazon.

Powered off the PVR. Disconnected from mains.
    Removed the 5 screws holding top cover on.
    Removed 4 screws holding hard drive to base.
    Removed SATA cable.
    Took off cradle from bottom of HD (4 screws).

Attached cradle to new HD and reversed the above.

When powering up, I was immediately asked to format the drive, had to put in password 0000. Formatting took 20secs max!

Then was up and running, recording icon back on menu, games gone!

Took maximum of 10 minutes! Wife is very impressed! (she thought I had no hope of getting it working again!)

Surprised and pleased at how easy it was to do, I didnt bother trying to recover anything off the old drive, so can't say how easy that is to do.

| Mon 29 Dec 2014 21:34:15 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.