My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

RF Passthrough to TV periodically dropping out

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Fyl

Hi All,

I got an fvp-4000 last week and set it up at the weekend. I have the aerial fed to the unit and back to the TV and periodically the TV now says "No Signal" for a couple of seconds then recovers. This happens when I switch the 4000 on and periodically when the 4000 is in standby. I'm guessing that when the 4000 wakes to check for updated EPG data it power-cycles the RF unit causing the TV to loose its signal.

Is this expected behaviour or do I have faulty unit?

Thanks,
    Phill.

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 10:28:26 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's a known issue, easily fixed by fitting a TV splitter before the unit to give the TV it's own aerial feed. You can then save some power by turning on the box power saving in sby option.

| Mon 12 Dec 2016 10:38:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

Can not believe this is a fault on a supposed newer product..
    Never had a problem with the 9200. Well not with this.
    Dug out my 1990s splitter but decided to replace the aerial socket with a double output to reduce the number of connections.
    This should be on the FAQs as within an hour of receiving the 4000 I was on here searching for reasons as to why the thing didn't work.
    Next issue is to find out why BBC picture freezes and can't get any HD channels. Best wait for the fog to clear first so I'm 100% sure I have a signal. Although my tv is picking them up fine.

Thanks for the answer on this one anyway

| Fri 30 Dec 2016 22:03:13 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A indication as to your likely transmitter and reception conditions would help. Enter you full details here

http://griffin.dtg.org.uk/work/coverage.html

If your most likely TV transmitter has all green reception. you may need a signal attenuator to avoid tuner overload when using main PSB 3 DVB-T2 mux, especially if you have signal amplifiers in the aerial connections. If you have try removing any amplification (if you can get at the amplifier) and connect your aerial direct to the 4000T. If that works you have your answer. If any amp is not accessible try a variable attenuator. Your TV may have a less sensitive tuner than the HUMAX.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-Variable-TV-Signal-Attenuator/dp/B00L24G962/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1483135932&sr=8-2&keywords=tv+attenuator

| Fri 30 Dec 2016 23:12:41 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

It's off the Sutton Coldfield transmitte all signals showing as 99/100. I regularly had to check when I re-tuned the 9200.
    Signal today was showing as around 80% strength and quality on BBC SD channel as I'm probably a good 25-30 mile from it and it's thick fog.
    I do have some sort of amplifier in the attic by the aerial for all the outputs so will check out what it is doing. Was hoping this new purchase would have been a simple plug in and away you go but I'm finding out with humax that that is never the case as things evolve. Just hope it lasts as long as the 9200 has.

| Sat 31 Dec 2016 0:03:44 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

adon30

I have a antiference 8 way amplifier in the loft
    VHF gain 6db
    UHF gain 8db: Full 16db

Unfortunately I cannot just turn it off and use it as a splitter as it needs the power on. There is no gain adjust so just set as that.
    I can't quite remember but I think the aerial was probably installed before full switch over and any upgrades to the Sutton Coldfield transmitter hence the Ned for the amplifier.
    Again, unfortunately, I can not just bypass the amp as don't have any f type connectors to do it but would ultimately need a 4-6 way splitter anyway to allow for all the aerial connections in the house. That is assuming the other TVs no longer need an amplified signal.
    The whole point of getting the aerial system installed in the first place was to future proof it and now its ended up being too good! Typical

| Sat 31 Dec 2016 12:17:18 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

adon30 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have a antiference 8 way amplifier in the loft
    VHF gain 6db
    UHF gain 8db: Full 16db
    Unfortunately I cannot just turn it off and use it as a splitter as it needs the power on. There is no gain adjust so just set as that.
    I can't quite remember but I think the aerial was probably installed before full switch over and any upgrades to the Sutton Coldfield transmitter hence the Ned for the amplifier.
    Again, unfortunately, I can not just bypass the amp as don't have any f type connectors to do it but would ultimately need a 4-6 way splitter anyway to allow for all the aerial connections in the house. That is assuming the other TVs no longer need an amplified signal.
    The whole point of getting the aerial system installed in the first place was to future proof it and now its ended up being too good! Typical

We don't know it's too good. Use a variable attenuator on the Humax box. I take it the amp uses f connectors. Connect the aerial input direct to the TV using a F barrel connector.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-plug-to-f-plugs-pack-of-10/95730

| Sat 31 Dec 2016 13:29:57 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Timdersticks

In relation to the original question, I had the same problem, but it only developed recently having worked perfectly well before, which was a bit strange. I tried replacing the HDMI cable but to no avail. I have got around it by plugging the aerial into my trusty 9200 and then connecting the 9200 to the FVP 4000T. This isn't really an ideal solution, though, because it requires the 9200 to be in standby for the FVP 4000 to work (!). Therefore, does anyone know what sort of splitter cable I would need to buy in order to achieve the solution suggested by graham in post 2 above?

| Thu 5 Jan 2017 19:53:23 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Timdersticks - 6 minutes ago  » 
    In relation to the original question, I had the same problem, but it only developed recently having worked perfectly well before, which was a bit strange. I tried replacing the HDMI cable but to no avail. I have got around it by plugging the aerial into my trusty 9200 and then connecting the 9200 to the FVP 4000T. This isn't really an ideal solution, though, because it requires the 9200 to be in standby for the FVP 4000 to work (!). Therefore, does anyone know what sort of splitter cable I would need to buy in order to achieve the solution suggested by graham in post 2 above?

You just need a splitter plus an extra patch coax (male to female) coax lead.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-19132r-s-2-way-metal-t-splitter/44534?kpid=44534&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5XqV6YFy3PcmecndCnuSjeHMgUwVrVmnOG3c8Q4J_OD4RoCPfnw_wcB

| Thu 5 Jan 2017 20:02:51 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Timdersticks

Ok, thanks! It must be a beast if it weighs 27kg but I'll take the plunge and see what happens!

| Thu 5 Jan 2017 20:09:03 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.