My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Router Settings

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcdonald_ajr

Just bought a FVP-5000T. When I connect directly (Ethernet Cable) to my Netgear DM200 router, it works perfectly. Netflix, On Demand, iPlayer etc all work fine.

However, when I connect it to my home network some network functionality is lost.
    Netflix, On Demand, iPlayer, Guide (historical) don't work.
    What is odd is that Network Connection Status shows all is fine. Link to router and internet both OK.
    Check New Software works, and I was able to download the latest version.
    I can use the Live TV app on my iPhone to watch live TV.

I have a Ubiquiti Unifi network setup, including a Unifi Security Gateway, that uses the Netgear DM200 in modem only mode. All my other devices have no problems with this setup. My Apple TV box streams Netflix without any issues.

I have tried WiFi, ethernet over mains and direct ethernet connections to my Unifi Switch to no avail.
    I have tried manually setting the IP address and DNS settings.

I can only assume that my Gateway is blocking some type of traffic.
    I found this link that suggest a solution to some problems:
    Potential solution

However, this is a complex manual process that I don't want to attempt without some reassurance that it will fix this problem. Any thoughts please? Thanks, Anthony

| Tue 19 Nov 2019 17:58:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

Interesting! I have been trying to find a definitive reason for some time why FVP devices sometimes don't work correctly over the internet. Normally this relates to wifi connections through ISP supplied routers. But you have introduced a new dimension. If it works when directly connected to your router then the FVP is fine. I guess you are right and your security gateway is blocking access. I agree that the potential solution you have identified is very daunting and I too wouldn't want to go down that path without some assurance that it works, particularly as the article applies to a different streaming device. I suggest you connect directly to the Netgear router until someone pops up with further advice.

| Tue 19 Nov 2019 18:43:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcdonald_ajr

Unfortunately, direct connection to the Netgear modem is only a temporary option when testing as it means I can't have the rest of my home network connected to the internet. Therefore I have to find a solution. There must be some difference in protocol for different services on the FVP box. Presumably the authors of the software will know what that is?

| Tue 19 Nov 2019 23:41:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

OK I understand. You are saying that you have to operate the Netgear in router mode rather than modem only. I don't know why you need to use a security gateway but unless critical for some reason (as opposed to a 'nice to have') you might run the whole network with the Netgear in router mode until you find a confident solution.
    There should be no difference in protocol for FVP services - except, according to the solution post you reference, the Unifi device doesn't allow multicast traffic. Which begs the question - why does your apple TV work?
    It might be useful if you could post a more detailed description/picture of your network please.
    This is going to be tricky to diagnose and solve - have you contacted Unify to ask their opinion? However, I have looked at the detail of the posted solution and it might look complicated but always worth a try - you ought to be able to take a configuration backup and restore it in the event that you run into trouble.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 9:56:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcdonald_ajr

Tried connecting the FVP directly to the gateway, bypassing the switch. No difference. Tried following the solution I posted the link to. No difference. Although I did reconnect my old T1000 and 4 on demand was able to show the adverts, but hung when trying to stream the programme. iPlayer just hung.

I have to use the Unifi gateway, as it is integral to the operation of all the Unifi Switches and Access points I have.

I can use iPlayer on my iPhone and iPad, so it is something specific about how the FVP accesses on demand services.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 19:33:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mcdonald_ajr - 49 mins ago  » 
    I can use iPlayer on my iPhone and iPad, so it is something specific about how the FVP accesses on demand services.

If it is like the earlier Humax boxes then all access to on demand is via a Humax portal (I have never quite understood why).

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 20:24:31 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcdonald_ajr

Do you know the IP address of the humax portal? I will need to add that to my firewall.

| Wed 20 Nov 2019 20:25:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

If it is like the earlier Humax boxes then all access to on demand is via a Humax portal (I have never quite understood why).

It is not quite like that. The Humax Portal is used to check new software and for remote recording etc. My FVP goes to many different servers to update the EPG and for other things internal to its mysterious workings.
    Do you know the IP address of the humax portal? I will need to add that to my firewall.

I can do that - but my monitor is not running at the moment. If you can read wireshark network traces send me a PM and I will send you an example.
    Thinking about your symptoms again -
    Netflix, On Demand, iPlayer, Guide (historical) don't work.
    I think it may well be a firewall problem - in which case you may find the list of addresses useful. The fix you reference was for multicast traffic as read it. If the backward EPG doesn't work you haven't even got to the streaming stage .

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 8:56:45 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I now have monitoring running and the humax portal is at 168.63.40.83:80. It occurred to me that if you have a firewall issue then the Unify device would maintain a log of firewall block activity - have you checked that?
    It may also be a DNS issue - please can you post a picture of the network status screen from the FVP - you said that it reported network status OK.

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 10:22:01 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mcdonald_ajr

telnet 168.63.40.83 80 connects OK over my router from a Raspberry Pi on the network.

Attachments

1. IMG_4694_(2).jpg (71.3 KB, 6 downloads) 4 years old
    2. IMG_4694.jpg (8.2 KB, 7 downloads) 4 years old
    | Sat 23 Nov 2019 15:37:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.