My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Running a Sky + Box and 1010S

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a 1010S as my Sky subscription expired (I was on an offer and to continue to get anywhere near the channels I wanted was way too much). Anyway, the 1010S is all up and running with the Sky dish connected to the Humax box with the two feeds from the shotgun cable and it all works as it should. That said, I need to continue to use the Sky box to watch BT Sport as we recently took that out to watch MotoGP. Initially I thought I'd just connect one feed in from the dish to the Humax and the other to the Sky box, which will limit how I record on the Humax I know, but will at least let me watch from both boxes as and when. Unfortunately the Humax box wouldn't detect a signal with one lead connected so I needed to connect both feeds to it which gives a good strong signal. My question is this - is there a switchable device that I can connect to one of the feeds in and then split it so that a feed can then go from the device to the Humax and Sky box? I've been told it would have to be switchable as both boxes provide voltage to the dish and if they're both doing this at the same time I could damage the LNB.

I thought something like this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/two-way-f-plug-aerial-switch-my03d#tab_questions) might do the job with a couple of fly leads - what do you think, or is there something more suitable?

To confirm, the Sky box will only be powered up when we're using it, it won't be on standby at all, but obviously the Humax will be.

Thanks in advance.

Hoops

| Sat 17 May 2014 13:40:56 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

To recognise a single cable connection the single cable must go to tuner 1 in and if it was first set up with 2 you have to do a factory reset to change to single cable mode. Make a note of your recording schedule before the reset.

Can't you add a third cable to the lnb which will almost certainly be a 4 output quad ?

| Sat 17 May 2014 13:45:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Graham,

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try that later. It'll be a ton of hassle to run another cable, lifting carpet, floorboards and so on so I didn't really want to go down that route if I can help it.

Thanks,
    Hoops.

| Sat 17 May 2014 13:49:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Just noticed on the questions part of the link I posted up earlier the following (this wasn't there when I looked last weekend!):

"I have only one lnb on my dish. Could I use this device to run the signal to a sky box and a Freesat one. I could then switch from the two different sources when I wanted to view one or the other."

"Yes the product does support that".

Does anyone have any views?

| Sat 17 May 2014 13:52:33 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hoops - 23 minutes ago  » 
    Just noticed on the questions part of the link I posted up earlier the following (this wasn't there when I looked last weekend!):
    "I have only one lnb on my dish. Could I use this device to run the signal to a sky box and a Freesat one. I could then switch from the two different sources when I wanted to view one or the other."
    "Yes the product does support that".
    Does anyone have any views?

lnbs come with 1,2, 4 or 8 independent outputs. Sky always use a 4 output lnb for Sky+ installs. A twin lnb isn't made for a sky dish. Therefore you will almost certainly have two spare outputs. If the dish isn't far from the sky box (up to 10M or so), you could connect one of these using the very thin WF65 coax cable (it might even go through the existing holes).

If the dish is acccesible it's a simple diy job to add the third cable.

You could fit a lnb switch in the HDR1010s second tuner feed to divert this to the Sky box, but would run the risk of recording failures on the HDR if you happened to not restore the connection within 15 minutes of a second recording falling due.

It's a pity the box isn't a Foxsat-hdr as this has a tuner 1 out connection that could be used with a a sky box. I feed a generic single tuner HD pvr ready box in just that way.

If you mean the lnb switch you referred to you could divert the second cable

| Sat 17 May 2014 14:24:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 

HIf you mean the lnb switch you referred to you could divert the second cable

I'm going to try that device, so one feed will go from the dish into the device, then two feeds coming out, one to the Humax, the other to the Sky+ box. Thanks for all your help

| Sat 17 May 2014 19:40:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hoops

Just an update in case anyone's interested or has a similar question - the device I mentioned earlier from Maplin's works and I can switch between a single feed input to either the Sky or Humax box. Thanks for the helpful posts above

| Mon 26 May 2014 16:16:04 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.