My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

satellite channels to pvr recorder?

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TickTockMicky

I purchased a house with a satellite dish and LNB,so decided to purchase a satellite receiver,so I can record from satellite channels to my trusty Humax 9300T.
    Not as easy as I thought.My Humax doesn't pick up my satellite channels,so I may not have conencted the devices up correctly.
    I have a DVB-S SL 65/12 satellite box with 2 scart sockets.I have connected the appliances as follows:-Sat box scart for tv into tv scart.
    Sat box scart for video connected to Humax VCR in scart socket.
    Humax tv scart lead connected to tv.Aerial connected to Humax.
    Have I connected everything up correctly, or not,or is there anything missing,regarding leads,connections etc.
    My Samsung tv,model nO.LE32B450C4w only has 1 scart socket,so I am using a 3 bank scart adaptor.
    Any help in conenction correctly so I can record from the satellite box would be greatly appreciated.

| Sat 23 Feb 2019 2:34:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

The 9300T's SCART socket is for pass through only, not recording.

The 9300T is a DTT (freeview) recorder. It records from its own tuners, and those tuners need the DTT signal from an aerial.

To turn a satellite feed to a compatible and practical feed at home, would be expensive and not reliable. It would be cheaper to purchase a freesat recorder.

BTW (by the way). To use the two SCART sockets for pass through from the satellite you would need to connect the satellite's SCART to the VCR SCART, and the TV to the TV SCART.
    Also for the best SCART picture on your TV you need to connect the 9300T's TV SCART to the TV.

| Sat 23 Feb 2019 8:47:43 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TickTockMicky - 8 hours ago  » 
    I purchased a house with a satellite dish and LNB,so decided to purchase a satellite receiver,so I can record from satellite channels to my trusty Humax 9300T.
    Not as easy as I thought.My Humax doesn't pick up my satellite channels,so I may not have conencted the devices up correctly.
    I have a DVB-S SL 65/12 satellite box with 2 scart sockets.I have connected the appliances as follows:-Sat box scart for tv into tv scart.
    Sat box scart for video connected to Humax VCR in scart socket.
    Humax tv scart lead connected to tv.Aerial connected to Humax.
    Have I connected everything up correctly, or not,or is there anything missing,regarding leads,connections etc.
    My Samsung tv,model nO.LE32B450C4w only has 1 scart socket,so I am using a 3 bank scart adaptor.
    Any help in conenction correctly so I can record from the satellite box would be greatly appreciated.

The only devices that can record from an analogue input are VCR's or DVD Recorders.

Your Freeview PVR creates a digital stream of data from it's tuners which is simply copied to a hard disk. Because the stream is digital the recording is 100% the same as the original broadcast.

A DVD recorder adds two devices to make it possible to record from an analogue input

1 A Analogue to Digital Converter (ADC) which converts the analogue video and audio to a digital stream.

2 A real time compression capability to compress the amount of data to a size that can be recorded on a hard disk. In the case of SD TV and DVD the video compression codec is mpeg2. This reduces the quality, recordings are no longer 100% the same as the original. Digital recordings can be copied over and over again with no generation loss at all. Each copy and the then subsequent copy of a analogue recording will produce more and more quality loss with each generation copy.

As Luke says, just buy a cheap Freesat PVR. If you are happy with the SD quality of your 9300T. A older cheap SD only box may suit.

The much cheaper Humax single tuner boxes that record to a attached USB drive may suit your requirements

eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-HB-1000S-TV-Receiver-Freesat-HD-Free-Time-Excellent-condition-Boxed/283383952411?epid=202682194&hash=item41fafff41b:g:HbUAAOSwY8JcabgL:rk:3:pf:0

Your pvr needs neither of these because the digital stream from the tuner is already digital and mpeg2 compressed.

| Sat 23 Feb 2019 11:34:42 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.